Help Unknown Cyst/lump on new betta

Guppy43

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everyone,
I recently purchased this betta and he was healthy and all until the day after I placed him in his tank. This cyst formed on his abdomen and he seems alittle lethargic(not flaring as much when I place the mirror at his tank) today.
What is it?

Edit: Apologies, he does flare actively but most of the time I see him swimming around with his fins folded as in the picture.

Attachments

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi, is there any chance you could take a photo from the front? With the angle of that photo, he just looks a bit bloated, I'm not for sure seeing a cyst or lump.

How long has he had this? Is he eating? When was the last time he ate?

What is the size of the tank? Is the tank cycled? What are your current parameters? What is the temperature of the tank?

OP
G

Guppy43

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SM1199 said:
Hi, is there any chance you could take a photo from the front? With the angle of that photo, he just looks a bit bloated, I'm not for sure seeing a cyst or lump.

How long has he had this? Is he eating? When was the last time he ate?

What is the size of the tank? Is the tank cycled? What are your current parameters? What is the temperature of the tank?
He has this bump for a few days now, he’s eating well(took that pic after I fed him some bloodworms). From this post, he ate 3hrs ago during feeding time, was alittle slow on the pick up cuz he was swimming at the glass towards me.

Tank is a 3 gallon tank, tank has been running for around 6+ month with shrimp til I rehoused them.
Current parameters
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:10ppm
PH:6.8
Temp:27 degrees celcius

OP
G

Guppy43

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Guppy43 said:
He has this bump for a few days now, he’s eating well(took that pic after I fed him some bloodworms). From this post, he ate 3hrs ago during feeding time, was alittle slow on the pick up cuz he was swimming at the glass towards me.

Tank is a 3 gallon tank, tank has been running for around 6+ month with shrimp til I rehoused them.
Current parameters
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:10ppm
PH:6.8
Temp:27 degrees celcius

Attachments

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Im not really seeing a cyst or lump, he just looks bloated to me. How much do you feed him and how often? Are you fasting him 2 days of the week? Are you pre soaking his food as well? Betta food will swell up in their stomach causing constipation if not presoaked

OP
G

Guppy43

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Blueberrybetta said:
Im not really seeing a cyst or lump, he just looks bloated to me. How much do you feed him and how often? Are you fasting him 2 days of the week? Are you pre soaking his food as well? Betta food will swell up in their stomach causing constipation if not presoaked
thats the cyst, its like a pimple.

ummm I feed him once daily with 2-3 pellets(namely blackworm or profeed S pellets) , 5-6 micro pellets(Dr Basser M or New lifespectrum) or 3 Bloodworms. Diet varies based on day and mood but follow the quantity strictly. I didn’t pre-soak any pellets, though they are fairly soft(except the profeed pellets which I mash before I toss in the tank)
The first pic I took was immediately after I fed him 3 big blood worms(malaysian blood worms).
Had him about maybe 4 days as I just got him sunday.

Attachments

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Im still not seeing a cyst , he just seems bloated to me honeslty . 6 pellets at omce is alot especially if youre not soaling them, it cause them to swell & buildup in him. I would fast him for a good day or 2 .

New Threads