Unknown Cichlid Holding??

1. J

Josh Summers Valued Member Member

So I got a cichlid from my lfs that someone dropped off about 4or 5inches. Another adoption like all my fish. And it's in my 120 with my Oscar and jack Dempsey right now all similar size and today I noticed her not rating but looks like a mouth full of something and constantly chewing on it. Looks like it's been going across flat rocks like trying to lay eggs but I though Africans are live bearers. So in not sure what to do. The jack Dempsey and this unknown cichlid have been nothing shimmering at eat other and digging and acting like they are laying eggs on the flat rock. What is going on? Both females practicing? Cross breeding? Trying to lay eggs? Did the Oscar have a role in something? And what does this little cichlid have in it's mouth eggs? Live fish? I've only had the cichlid for about a month can thru hold for that long? Theirs definitely something in her mouth alive so idk what to do. Is it fry she had when I bought her or did she pick up eggs from the jack or what is going on. Do I need to strip her? Theirs only her 1 jack and 1 Oscar in the tank I can't imagine any cross breeding

Attached Files:

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Looks to be holding.

She likely was holding when she was dropped off at the store. You can strip her and put the fry in a growout tank or leave her alone, but the fry wont survive with a dempsey and oscar for more than a few minutes.

3. OP
    OP
    J

Could they be unferatilized eggs? Or would she not be holding if their not fertalized? And how long do I wait to strip her? I got her June 26th and I've just recently noticed it's been about 3 weeks . But she kinda had a full mouth when I got her it looked like I just though that was how she looked with a full mouth.

4. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

She'll hold unfertilized eggs as if they were fertile . I don't think the Dempsey would have tried to breed with her (two different types of breeding methods) but two females can spawn together. It's not that uncommon.

Also, that picture is amazing

5. OP
    OP
    J

Thank you. I think I can strip her safely. Never done it before but if she's been holding since I got her the eggs are old enough. But if their unfertalized eggs. Then she'll be better off without them.