Unknown Cherry Barb Disease/Sickness Help

1. middy2214 Initiate Member

Hello,

I started my aquarium several months ago and I currently have 5 fish living in the tank. 3 Platys which seem to be doing fine, and 2 cherry barbs, one male and one female. Recently, the cherry barbs have become very lethargic and have not eaten very much. Subsequently, there seems to be some sort of growth coming from their anus. The area around the anal fin is dark in color and there appear to be red pointy protrusions from the anus. The fish are slow to move with periodic bursts of erratic movement. Their fins are for the most part clamped and they spend most of their time floating in the same spot motionless.

Whatever is affecting them does not seem to be having any effect on the Platys as of yet. But I hope to resolve this before it does spread. The water conditions are all normal and the water is clean. There is some sort of black hairlike fungus or algae growing on the wood in the tank. It is cauliflower-like in appearance and occasionally grows to be very large. The fish do not seem to eat it though. Please if there is any help you can offer that would be great. If more info is needed I will try to provide it.

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore :)
    I'm sorry your fish are worrying you. Any chance you can post a pic of the fish?
    Use the search feature here on the forum or Google camallanus. See if it looks similar.
    best of luck.

3. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore, Middy.

So sorry your fish is going through this problem. As Lucy said, a picture would really help.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

5. middy2214 Initiate Member

Thank you all for your help! I have tried to get the pictures up but they seem to be too big. The images provided in the links are very similar to the appearance of my fish. They definitely have the same protruding red, worm-like things from their anus. Thus, I'm fairly sure it is callamanus worms. Is fenbendazole the best/only treatment? Thank you again for the help, and I will continue to try to get pictures up.