Unknown algae

Isabelle Dalton

A few weeks ago a weird, dark algae started popping up on the substrate of my 20 gal. It has since taken over the roots of my Java Ferns and anchored to some wood and rocks. I've tamd it down quite a bit, but the only way I've successfully done so is by just removing the parts where the algae is. After HOURS scrolling through algae catalogs, I still haven't identified it! I'm afraid it may start harming my plants + fish, so all help welcome!

Algae Description: dark green, appearing almost black, tentacle-like, most often rooting to rocks and flowing upward, slimy + slippery to touch, hard to grab, when observed closely out of water it appears to have bubble-like structure?? if that makes sense?

(I will be trying to add pictures asap)

Mandarabe

Have you checked black beard algae? Not sure of the bubble structure, but black/brown thin strands like fine hair would be a fairly good description... it is a pain to get rid of

EmbersToAshes

I'm not sure if it's the same thing as Blackbeard algea, but it sounds like what I have in my java moss. Bubbles and all. I hate it and I think it's black hair algae

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
noxifish
Replies
Views
Bryangar
Replies
Views
Kookyxogirl
Replies
Views