Unique Tankmates For Angelfish Not Rams Or Small Tetras

1. Reef Ventures

Reef Ventures Valued Member Member

I currently have a 208L (55g) (36"long 24"tall 15"deep) stocked with 2 angels and 11 kuhlis.
    I'm on the hunt for a fish that is a minimum of 7cm (2.8in) and a max of 12cm (4.6in). My first idea was Empire Gudgeons but I cant find out how big they get. My second idea was to get maybe 10 pristella or black neon tetras and 3-5 empire gudgeons

Also If anyone had any ideas as to other unique and or oddball fish that fit that criteria let me know.
    *NOTE* my angels have a body size of 7.5cm (3") and are a huge PITA to other smaller fish. They also move quite fast for large VT Angels too

2. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Rams?

3. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

Not rams. Use to keep and breed them in this tank.

4. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

I was thinking To get 3-5 empire gudgeons and then maybe something like a larger tetra. Any tetra thats 2.5cm Plus (1") really would work IMO

5. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

What about Rummynose or Lemon Tetras?

6. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

7. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

I had a school of 15 Rummynose tetras once. They died slowly over about 5 months.
    Also since im getting Empire Gudgeons I would Prefer something that isnt red.
    -
    Would 10 Pristella,
    OR
    10 Black Neons,
    OR
    6 Congo Tetras

What of those would be best with empire Gudgeons?

8. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

Or a Purple Spot Gudgeon but im not sure if it would eat Kuhlis or BN plecs

9. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

Empire gudgeons are typically around 4 inches or so. I've considered these guys in the past with peacock gudgeons. I don't know if this makes any difference to you, but empire gudgeons rarely spawn in captivity, so pretty much all that you come across are wild-caught.

10. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

Well since im an Australian they are cheap as. During summer I can even catch them sometimes in the wild.
    How big do peacock gudgeons get and would angels peck at them?

Nice Apistos in ur profile pic BTW

11. JeffK

Thanks - I didn't even notice you were in Australia! Peacocks get close to 3 inches. I kept some at one time and they were at least 2.5 inches. PGs like caves / narrow things like pvc piping and stay closer to the bottom so I don't know if angels would bother with them or not. Here's some good info on them:
    Tateurndina ocellicauda (Peacock Goby)

12. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

well sine it
    well since its a 55 tall i'd say they they wouldnt bother them. If they did get bullied I have a spare 8 gal that will work short term while I sort something out.
    Would Pleco Caves be sufficient?

13. JeffK

The narrower, the better. If the pleco cave opening is too wide, just stick something else (partially) in front of it to make the entrance narrower.

14. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

I might get some 1" pvc and use AQ silicone to glue some gravel to it have it look natural. The tank is 36"long 24"tall and 14"deep
    also do they come out for food? cuz i dont wanna have to be shoving my hand 2ft underwater to feed the peacock gudgeons every day

15. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

Will peacock and empire gudgeons coexist? If not ill only get Empire

16. JeffK

Yes - that should not be a problem

17. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

Awesome, is 0.8" a good diameter for the caves?

18. JeffK

At the most - a little smaller would be better IME

19. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

Ok well I just ordered 4 empire gudgeon sat my LFS so they will be here Thursday. I'll see how they go then I might get peacocks

20. JeffK

Oh please be sure to post some pics here - they may be a little drab at first but once they settle in the males will look awesome in breeding dress!