Unique stocking ideas for a 55 gal?

Frank the Fish guy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MarthaHorse said:
Hi! I have a planted 55 gal with two Dojo loaches and one bristlenose pleco. I am restocking and am trying to decide on what the best fish would be. I really like angelfish and pea puffers. What would be some cool and unique stocking ideas? Thank you!
Going with an asian theme based on the Dojo loach, I think a school of White Clouds would be nice to add along with a friendly pair of Gouramis. Along with pea puffers (which are Indian). I wouldn't add the angelfish since they are not asian. The Gouramis take their place instead. Another Indian fish is danios, so a small school of those too would be nice.

A Siamese algae eater would fit in there too.

Kind of a Chinese/Indian tank. I usually try to stock based on similar geography.

OP
M

MarthaHorse

Reaction score
Frank the Fish guy said:
Going with an asian theme based on the Dojo loach, I think a school of White Clouds would be nice to add along with a friendly pair of Gouramis. Along with pea puffers (which are Indian). I wouldn't add the angelfish since they are not asian. The Gouramis take their place instead. Another Indian fish is danios, so a small school of those too would be nice.

A Siamese algae eater would fit in there too.

Kind of a Chinese/Indian tank. I usually try to stock based on similar geography.
Ya that sounds nice. How many of each would you suggest?

Frank the Fish guy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MarthaHorse said:
Ya that sounds nice. How many of each would you suggest?
Just one Dojo. They get 6" long and one will want to be in charge of the gravel. And one siamese algae eater.

White clouds shoal (school) so I would get 10-12. They will stick together and will be lovely and feel secure.

Just two gourami's. You can try with more, but they might select down to a single pair that gets along. I usually end up with just two. Try to find two that already get along!

Pea puffers are tiny. They don't hang out together too much but they are so small, better get like 6.

Then the danios will school, so a nice school would be 6-8.

That will be a nice tank!

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi, It’s best to do multiple Dojo’s as they’re quite social however they can get to around 12”. Not small fish by any means. I still think they’re fine in a 55 but bigger would be better :)

SAEs are also quite social though people often keep them on their own, they can be quite boisterous with other fish when you do.

As for the Gourami it depends on the species, keep in mind Dojo’s like it cool. Keep a group of Gourami, most are social.

I would probably skip the puffers, they’re better off in a species setup. They’re quite nippy and the Dojo’s might decide they are a snack ;)

OP
M

MarthaHorse

Reaction score
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Hi, It’s best to do multiple Dojo’s as they’re quite social however they can get to around 12”. Not small fish by any means. I still think they’re fine in a 55 but bigger would be better :)

SAEs are also quite social though people often keep them on their own, they can be quite boisterous with other fish when you do.

As for the Gourami it depends on the species, keep in mind Dojo’s like it cool. Keep a group of Gourami, most are social.

I would probably skip the puffers, they’re better off in a species setup. They’re quite nippy and the Dojo’s might decide they are a snack ;)
That sounds good :) If I added Dario Dario would they become food for the loaches?

New Threads