Unique stocking Ideas for 10 gal

airdog44

Right now I have a 10-gallon tank that is heavily planted. I have some neon tetras in there but I'm thinking about mixing it up and replacing them. The only problem is I don't know what to put in their place! I would like something unique, but as I said before I have no idea! I'm pretty new to this hobby(only 1 year) so I'm sure I haven't heard all the ideas. Thanks for all your help!

P.S: I can post a picture of my tank if that helps

airdog44

Ok. Ph is 7. Ammonia 0-.25. Nitrate 10-20 ppm. I don’t have a GH/KH test kit unfortunately. Thanks for the reply!

airdog44

Haven't gotten any responses in a while, any ideas?

Bgreen82

I will agree with WRWAquarium on this one. I have a 9g with a pair of scarlet badis and 6 clown killifish and shrimp and it is such an interesting tank to watch. So much personality in the badis as well as the killis

kansas

I've never had scarlet badis but I've read they are difficult for beginners. I put too much thought into stocking a 9 gallon tank before doing the predictable and getting a betta.

I'm very happy with it. The other fish I though would be cool are a pair of the various annual kilifish, see if I could get them to breed and if I could raise the fry.

Bgreen82

I've never had scarlet badis but I've read they are difficult for beginners. I put too much thought into stocking a 9 gallon tank before doing the predictable and getting a betta.

I'm very happy with it. The other fish I though would be cool are a pair of the various annual kilifish, see if I could get them to breed and if I could raise the fry.
That would be really cool. I kind of slipped and fell into the badis myself. We have a pretty healthy population of copepods in that tank so both the badis and the killis can graze as they please which makes keeping them a breeze. They are both micro predators so it’s really fun to see them hunt, then we just supplement feed. You said that the tank was pretty heavily planted which also makes things easier for both species. If you have copepods in there badis will be much easier than you think.

airdog44

The clown killifish sound awesome but they're really pricy :(. What about other top swimming fish? I hate how limited you are with the nano tanks.

On another note, could I do dwarf corydoras? I was thinking maybe pygmy corydoras or salt and pepper corydoras? People have told me they breed too much for a 10 gallon and I would constantly be making trips to my lfs. But I think bottom dwellers with a top swimming fish would be cool.

I'll look into the scarlet badis

Bgreen82

Some places have them cheaper, ours were $5 each at lfs but they were tiny. I don’t know about the dwarf corys personally. Sparkling gourami are definitely on my short list of fish for my next small tank, worth a look. Can always do an upper tank fish like the micro rainbows with ornamental shrimp too.

airdog44

I will be sure to check with my lfs! Thanks for all your help now I have some fish to research!

RogueFebreze

I have both pygmy Corydoras and salt and pepper corys and have never experienced them breeding. conversely, salt and pepper corys are kind of hard to breed in a tank I thought

airdog44

I have both pygmy Corydoras and salt and pepper corys and have never experienced them breeding. conversely, salt and pepper corys are kind of hard to breed in a tank I thought
1) Ok so right now I'm looking at salt and pepper coryies, maybe killifish, and a centerpiece fish that I haven't decided on yet

2) Or another idea I had was salt and pepper coryies and a betta. Since I have black sand, a black background, and a bunch of green I think a white plakat would stand out! I know it's basic but I've never had a betta and since they're so hyped up maybe I'll try one.

What would you guys choose? 1 or 2?

Thanks for all the help btw! I really appreciate it!

Bgreen82

I am going to possibly give you the best and worst advice ever… Why not BOTH! Lol

kidding aside, I don’t think you will be disappointed either way. Sleep on it :)

airdog44

I am going to possibly give you the best and worst advice ever… Why not BOTH! Lol

kidding aside, I don’t think you will be disappointed either way. Sleep on it :)
Will do!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MarthaHorse
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Stocking Ideas?
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies