Unique/Rare Corydoras

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Dom90, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Wondering if these two types of Corydoras are rare... Ambiacus and Brochis Anders247 Coradee Have you guys heard of these two species before?

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

You mean C. ambiacus, C. britskii (formerly Brochis britskii), C. splendens (formerly Brochis splendens) and Brochis multiradiatus? (There's now only one species in Brochis)

3. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Yes C. ambiacus, and the list here I am looking at just says "Brochis Emerald Green"

4. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

I have some currently, not sure about rare though.

5. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Ok is C. ambiacus warm or cold water cories?

6. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Brochis are most commonly sold as emerald corys, ambiacus like cooler temps, neither are particularly rare
    Most corys are happy around 24C, a few such as peppered like it cooler & a few such as Sterbai warmer.

7. Anders247

"Brochis emerald green" Is Corydoras splendens. Formerly Brochis splendens....

8. OP
    OP
    Dom90

So are they a different species or are they the ones commonly known as "Emerald cory cats"?

9. Anders247

They're the ones known as emerald cory cats. But they are similar to Corydoras aeneus, so look up the difference between the two, I think it's that C. splendens has more bony scutes.

10. Coradee

Brochis have more dorsal rays not scutes, as for them being C.splendens, as far as I know the jury's still out on that one. I must remember to ask at the catfish convention next year, I missed it this year

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  11. Anders247

I just researched them a few days ago when I went through the whole Corydoras genus and subfamily.
    Currently, they're C. splendens, and there's also talk of moving B. multiradiatus to Corydoras genus as well. According to FishBase.
    Edit: good to know about the dorsal rays....

12. Coradee

There's been talk of a major reclassification of corydoradinae for years, I wish they'd get on with it

13. Anders247

14. Coradee

Nice fish the barbatus, a friend of mine breeds them.
    Anyway back on topic, Splendens have a wider temperature range so may suit the Op's tank better than the ambiacus

15. OP
    OP
    Dom90

It's not that I'm necessarily going to put some cories in the tank, but I am just opening up a discussion about the possibility that these cory species are rare or not :D I think I have too many bottom feeders as it is...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice