Unique Problem

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm wondering how many of you have unique situations or problems that come up and if so, how you solved them.

My own unique problem is pet hair. Specifically Dog hair. And I’m not talking just a few stray hairs here and there. My Kipperdoo is now fifteen. My very last dog.
Anyway, at least twice a week I wheel around the house sweeping the edges (hubby can’t find them when he sweeps). I call it sweeping up Kipp’s puppies. When I’m done, twice a week, I have enough for a whole dog. He’s one hundred and twenty pounds of shepherd/malamute.
Now, what does that have to do with aquariums you may be asking. We have central air. Which means there are hairs flying around twenty four seven. The versa top has helped. But, when I do anything with the aquariums, first I wipe the top down with a damp paper towel. Then I change into clean clothes. Then I can do what I need to do.
And yes it was better back when I could brush him/bathe him. And no I can’t take him to be bathed. Seems he’s a nipper. Not if he’s not hurt. But they just want quick.

Now. Tell me your unique challenges and how you deal with them.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmm, that's a tough one.
Whenever I am personally asked to describe something, my mind draws a blank.

Fortunately, I have a small dog, he doesn't shed too badly like he used to, and his hairs don't float around.
I have had issues with hair in my tanks before, but my biggest issue would have to be dust. I hate when I have dust on my lids, which is why I converted to mainly hoodless tanks.
There's only one tank in my house with a hood, and that's my 20 long.

My 31 gallon does have an issue with dry water stains on the glass top, and that's so annoying.
I constantly have to take it off, and wash it. I tend to coat the top of it with Rain-X to prevent water from staining there before I get around to clean it off.
Otherwise, there aren't any other challenges I can think of right now. I will let you know if I find one.

Adrian Burke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a ledge above my stove that separates my living room and my kitchen. My cat always sleeps there and sheds on my food. I might put a tank there instead just to show him who’s boss.

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had freshwater slimemould in my tap water for a while. It filled my tank in its non sporing form so it was just a cloud and killed half my fish.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Adrian Burke said:
I have a ledge above my stove that separates my living room and my kitchen. My cat always sleeps there and sheds on my food. I might put a tank there instead just to show him who’s boss.
I think your cat knows who’s boss. Lol

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
InsanityShard said:
I had freshwater slimemould in my tap water for a while. It filled my tank in its non sporing form so it was just a cloud and killed half my fish.
How horribly disgusting and heartbreaking! I may never drink water again! I’m so sorry!

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fanatic said:
Hmm, that's a tough one.
Whenever I am personally asked to describe something, my mind draws a blank.

Fortunately, I have a small dog, he doesn't shed too badly like he used to, and his hairs don't float around.
I have had issues with hair in my tanks before, but my biggest issue would have to be dust. I hate when I have dust on my lids, which is why I converted to mainly hoodless tanks.
There's only one tank in my house with a hood, and that's my 20 long.

My 31 gallon does have an issue with dry water stains on the glass top, and that's so annoying.
I constantly have to take it off, and wash it. I tend to coat the top of it with Rain-X to prevent water from staining there before I get around to clean it off.
Otherwise, there aren't any other challenges I can think of right now. I will let you know if I find one.
I have that problem on the back part of my versa top. Might just try rain-x. IF I can do it without getting it on the inside. Thank you.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Gypsy13 said:
I have that problem on the back part of my versa top. Might just try rain-x. IF I can do it without getting it on the inside. Thank you.
It's best to remove it first before spraying it on.
If you do get some of the undersides, just scrub it off with hot tap water and dry it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom