Unique pleco

Zaffa

Hey guys and girls,

Just throwing this up here as I've failed to identify another pleco like this before.

The adipose fin is longer then his tail and turns redish pink as per pics. Probably the coolest example of rats tail that I've seen in recent times.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it a deformity? He has at least 4yrs old and roughly 200mm long.

Cheers

Attachments

• 20210625_070513.jpg
    20210625_070513.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 63

Stripedbass

Looks like a common bristlenose. I’ve never seen one that has tail fins remotely like that though. I bet a breeder would love that guy.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Not even going to guess on an ID, but that tail is wondrous!

Upvote 0

MacZ

Bristlenose have by now been bred into dozens of domestic strains. This one seems to have some longfin and orange genes, hence the strange combination. You don't see specimens like this one often as many breeders cull them as undesirable stock.

Upvote 0

pagoda

There are a few Pleco with red/gold tails and fins...Cactus, L25 Scarlet, Flame....so it could be a longfin cross of a standard red tailed type with a longfin common or BN maybe.

Upvote 0

MacZ

There are a few Pleco with red/gold tails and fins...Cactus, L25 Scarlet, Flame....so it could be a longfin cross of a standard red tailed type with a longfin common or BN maybe.

Unlikely, as for crossbreeding the species have to be closer related. If anything has been crossed, it was different strains of BN.

Upvote 0

pagoda

Unlikely, as for crossbreeding the species have to be closer related. If anything has been crossed, it was different strains of BN.

Such as a standard x super red (with albino undertones since the tail is both red and yellowy)?

Upvote 0

MacZ

Such as a standard x super red (with albino undertones since the tail is both red and yellowy)?

Yep and likely each of the parents was already a mix of two strains.

Upvote 0

pagoda

Yep and likely each of the parents was already a mix of two strains.

So just out of curiosity MacZ would a colourway of the type in the photo have been done on purpose (for uniqueness/higher resale) or just a genetic accident that happened from normal breeding of BN?

Upvote 0

MacZ

I would presume an accident, as mixes like these are really rare.

Upvote 0

pagoda

I would presume an accident, as mixes like these are really rare.

It's a fluke of nature whether as a genetic accident or by one in a million purposeful interbreeding

It's an attractive fish...if a little weird.

Upvote 0

Zaffa

Thanks for all your input. He's certainly pretty unique. Not overly interested in breeding and even if I did it's possibly be a long wait to find out if at all. His extended apidose didn't really appear until about two years ago.

Upvote 0

Fisch

You stated that it is 200mm long, which is 20cm, meaning he is 8inches long.
There must be a different kind of Pleco in the mix.

Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

omg. I would kill for that pretty a one. You may got a new strain on ya. Feel free to breed more. That's awsome!

Upvote 0

MacZ

You stated that it is 200mm long, which is 20cm, meaning he is 8inches long.
There must be a different kind of Pleco in the mix.

Doesn't have to be, actually. I've had BN plecos of about 15cm. But at that size they would grow so slowly one wouldn't notice further growth until suddenly a year or so later it would show up fully in the open and I was astonished how big they got.
But going by the gravel in the picture I would almost assume 200mm is a typo or a mistake of other origin. But as there is nothing else for reference in the pic that's my speculation.

Upvote 0

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom