Unique centerpiece for 29gal tank?

1. beau Well Known Member Member

What are some interesting centrepiece fish for a 29gal community tank? Something outside the normal Dwarf or Honey Gourami?

2. beau Well Known Member Member

Ignore this comment, can't find a way to delete it on mobile haha

3. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What other fish do you have?

4. beau Well Known Member Member

Right now it's stocked with Harlequin Rasbora, CPD's, Emerald Cories and a Bolivian Ram at the bottom. I had a Dwarf Gourami at the top originally.

(I'm also interested in some of the rare or maybe more demanding species that could work in here once I've upgraded and moved the current stock out to a 75gal, but I'm sure there are lots of options that would work for that)

5. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Laetacara dorsigera

6. beau Well Known Member Member

These guys are very pretty! Would they work with the stock I have now (greatest concern would be the Bolivian I guess...), or would they just be something to consider for the future?

7. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Mmmm I don't know about the Bolivian

8. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I have 2 Laetacara Dorsigera. Their colors vary considerably from fish to fish (the picture in my profile is one of my older dorsigera). I wouldn't put one in with a ram. They are both cichlids and while these guys and the rams are peaceful, a 29 doesn't give you enough room for these guys to be comfortable.

9. beau Well Known Member Member

Okay no worries, it's something I'll consider in the future.

Are almost all Cichlids mid-bottom dwelling?

10. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Most are. There are some that are known to occupy the entire tank though like blood parrots and angels. Festivums also spend quite a bit of time at the top. However, it's my personal opinion that each cichlid is unique. I have a tbar cichlid that spends a lot of time at the top and they are bottom dwellers.

Both of my laetacaras are strictly bottom dwellers 90% of the time. They are a great fish though so if you ever get the opportunity they are very rewarding.

11. beau Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the info! This is making me want way too many tanks lol.

I think for this tank, because it is already pretty heavily stocked, especially at the bottom I will end up going with another Gourami to occupy the top area. That way I won't really be crowding anyone too much.