unique aquatic animals for 65 gallon paludarium.

1. p

paludarium1creations New Member Member

I was wanting a freshwater aquarium but i wanted something unusual. Something besides the normal fish. Im talking about things like frogs (like african dwarf frogs), crabs, i also know there are some small eel species. Maybe some that can be housed with other non-fish, or even some fish that looks very weird or cool.

2. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

if you dont mind brackish water, an island set up would work well with a colony of fiddler crabs

3. Fettuccini

Fettuccini Well Known Member Member

Speaking of brackish, you can't get much more unusual than mudskippers.

4. Airth

Airth Valued Member Member

If you go brackish you could try a dragon goby. They're pretty cool looking.

5. j

jpm995 Well Known Member Member

Just set up a 55g brackish with 2 anableeps [4 eyed fish], want to add a mudskipper if i can find one.

6. OP
    OP
    p

For this build i was wanting mostly freshwater fish consider i might add gecko's or a tree boa in aswell. But i might eventually have to give in to temptation and build a brackish water paludarium aswell.

Anyone know what fish can be kept with fire-bellied newts?

7. OP
    OP
    p

One fish i just found that i might get is called a 'freshwater lionfish' or sometimes also called a 'stonefish'

8. Fettuccini

Fettuccini Well Known Member Member

From what I'm reading, those are brackish/marine too and don't do well long term in freshwater, in spite of the name.

Now you've got me really wanting to find something weird that would do well in a freshwater paludarium.

9. T

Teishokue Well Known Member Member

your best bet is four-eyed. Anableps

10. f

frogmel New Member Member

Maybe a small species of chameleon with vampire crabs and shrimp?

11. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Small frogs might work with a cherry shrimp colony, they may eat a few though. But they breed quickly, especially if you add moss to the tank.