Unique 10g Dorm Room Stocking

Scoutsfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey guys! I'm in the process of thinking about what stocking I want my 10 gallon for my dorm room. I'm looking for something interesting, not too hard to care for(no special feeding or salt needed), and not too shy. Probably more color the better. Where I am going I'm allowed up to a 20 gallon tank and so I am taking my 10 gallon and will see if I can or want to upgrade later on to a 20g(depends on roommates and space available as well as time.) also, these fish have to be able to survive a tank tear down once or twice a semester or year for Christmas break and a 2hr drive home. I'll most likely live up there year round, but will be returning home for several weeks during holidays I'm sure.

The tank is currently heavily planted with Java moss, duckweed, horn wort, anarchis, wisteria, bacopa, hygrophilia, moss ball and pothos growing out of the top. It's about 78*F and is filtered by a diy sponge filter(aquaclear 70 filter sponge, PVC pipe and air pump/bubbler).

Current fish are a nerite snail, 2 mystery snails, 5 white cloud minnows and a single male betta(he does great and ignores others completely-keeping an eye just in case though. He was on brink of death when I rescued him and is finally coming around to happy healthy self!)

I am thinking of going with a neon tetra school(hesitant with tank year downs/long car ride since I know they can be sensitive), the snails and maybe a dg(other fish would be rehomed as needed as I'll be having to sell most of my others as well sadly). However, I also have been thinking of going with something more unique it exciting.. This is where I need your help! I've read 10 gallon stocking lists galore but I want to know what you think I should do. Hoping to excite my roommates about the fish(so keep in mind something nonfish keepers would also enjoy )

OP
Scoutsfish

Scoutsfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Anyone at all? What are some good stocking ideas that you think people without fish would like as well? Something unique? Idk I just want to know some more options and can't seem to decide. Idk if a 10 gallon is large enough, but maybe a gbr pair? I have one in my 70g right now...

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
IMO, I think it's a risk with your betta in there to add any more tank mates especially if you don't have a backup tank. There's also temp differences between the betta and the WCMM's. Maybe if you can leave the betta in the 10 gallon and then get a 20 gallon and put the WCMM in there, you can add more fish?

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Flowingfins said:
I thought the OP said he was rehoming the fish. Did I read it wrong?
Ah, sorry! Missed that line. I agree going with some hardy fish like guppies or platys. DG and neons wouldn't be suitable in a 10g. If you upgrade to a 20g, there'd be a lot more options.

OP
Scoutsfish

Scoutsfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought of guppies as well, is there some sort of centerpiece that would work? I wouldn't mind a shrimp tank but I don't think others would find them too fun haha. I've heard mixed reviews of dg and neons in a 10 so I figured I'd ask and see. Yes the current fish will be rehomed-the wcm aren't colorful enough and the betta would be too much of a risk and I don't want to deal with him turning aggressive suddenly while up at college with no backup-here I have backup tanks I can use so it works. The temp is 78(high end of wcm and low for Bettas so it's alright)

How many male guppies/endlers would work? Any other suggestions? It doesn't have to be super hardy, as I would probably only move home and back once a year for Christmas. Maybe twice. Right now the plan is to live up there year round, but who knows if that will change or not.. Any centerpieces?

Biev

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was also going to suggest all-male guppies. Sounds like it would be an ideal environment for them (as long as the betta's gone), and they are colorful and not shy at all. You'd want to make sure not to get any females or you'd be overcrowded in no time, but the males and females don't look alike at all so there's no risk of accidentally buying one : P

Guppies and shrimp are a great combo in my opinion, and if you get the colorful ones I'm sure other people would enjoy them as well. Cherry and yellow shrimp are pretty hardy, too (and my cherries aren't skittish at all).

OP
Scoutsfish

Scoutsfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Alright, I'm thinking of going with this:

1 nerite for any algae
2 maybe 3 mystery snails( I have an ivory and blue now and a gold and blue in my other tank so wouldn't mind one of each color..)
6 male guppies
And cherry shrimp? How many? And does anyone know of a good supplier that isn't too expensive?

Will the guppies eat the shrimp? The tank is already heavy planted but I'm thinking of also making it a minI aquaponics project... I have the pump already just have to get a little grow bed/planter and make a diy bell siphon. Hmm dorm room veggies? Haha I'm going to experiment it at home before I take it to college though. The plants will definitely help with the bioload and keep nitrates down.

OP
Scoutsfish

Scoutsfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks everyone! It sounds like it's going to be a very colorful active tank does anyone know the best place to get some cherry shrimp?

Biev

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The problem with using fish as the nitrogen source for your vegetables is that the veggies tend to require more than the fish can provide and/or live in. If you do decide to try it out, make sure to get plant supplements that are safe for your fish!

Cherry shrimp are not especially hard to come by. If there's a store in your area that specializes in freshwater fish, I'd say there's a good chance they'll have some.

OP
Scoutsfish

Scoutsfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm going to try the aquaponics this spring/ summer with my 29 gallon and move it to my 10 if it works, clay based substrate for the planter probably and I have some plant zone stuff for fish tanks but I'll see what else may be needed

Also, none of my lfs carry cherry shrimp. Petsmart has ghost shrimp but I'd rather have cherries. I'd order online but shipping is so expensive and they can be like $3+ for a single shrimp.. Hmm...

OP
Scoutsfish

Scoutsfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, I found a source of cherry shrimp and may get some soon or wait until spring. We will see. I set up another 10 gallon with a pretty little delta tail betta, a nerite, 3 adf and 4 tiny endlers(they're all grey however and don't have much of any color other than grey) the betta is doing great with them and the rest at settling in! Plants are jungle val, Java moss, Java fern and tons of pothos growing out of the top. I decided this tank will be the one I take to college instead of my other 10 gallon as the plants will be easier to care for.

Also, I recently got a different car and this one has a plug in in the back/trunk which has rubber mat down. This means I can just drain the tank partially then plug it into my car for any trips to college or back home and the filter and heater can keep running without having to transfer fish either

OP
Scoutsfish

Scoutsfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good news! The 3 adf I got Saturday have all learned to go to the little clay pot tray for food! I'm currently feeing adf pellets and shrimp pellets and they each are their share of the adf pellets this am I fed the others flakes at the top then sink a little pinch into the dish and they all come over and eat the other fish leave them alone except for betta that likes to come by once in a while and just see what the commotion is all about haha he leaves them alone after that though

New Threads