Unique 10 Gallon Build

Zentuckyfriedchicken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a 10 gallon sitting empty with a little sand (stole most of it for my little sisters 3 gallon betta build). Well since she doesn’t want anything bigger then the 3 gallon cylinder, I get to keep my 10! I decided to do something different then my usual fish (no tetras or other small schooling fish. I am fine with the idea of Pygmy Corys though, they are too cute!) I have created 3 (finalized) stocks:
1.) 2 Shell dwelling cichlids. This stock probably won’t happen though because I could only keep 2 and nothing else.
2.) 2-3 Pea puffers Again, This stock may not happen if they need to eat anything other then frozen blood worms (my mom wouldn’t like it).
3.) 4 Scarlet Badis, 6 Pygmy Corys, and 12 ghost shrimp.
4.) Invert tank
If you have any unique ideas or concerns with my stocks, fire away!

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
2 shell dwellers will fight in the 10 gallon so stay away from them. The badis stock would be okay, however go with only 3. You might have fighting with 4. You want a 1:2 ratio with the badis also. Also, 12 ghosts are a bit too much. This many will gang up on your fish, and them being as small as they are. Also with only 10 gallons to work with, I would get ri.d of the ghost and stick to just the fish. Your fish will be happier with the extra room. Make sure the aquarium is densly planted and that you have food for the badis. Most of the time they can be difficulti to get off live foods. Even frozen can be a challenge to get them to eat

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I personally love pea puffers and am getting one for my 5g!!

If you want puffers, they can eat frozen/live bloodworms, live snails, frozen/live brine shrimp or any other natural water protein you can get them to eat really (including new born fry and shrimp) Do any of those options sound ok to you?

They need lots of plants and hiding places too (but that just makes the tank look better). Their really awesome once they have settled in though

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
problems I see in the stocks-
1) you need 4 as from my understanding they are colonizing fish, but they would work in a species only 10g
3) Pygmy cories need at least a 15g as they are pretty active. I'd try and get only male and the rest be females if you get a badis or if you get males only get two. If your mom isn't ok with anything other than frozen then I wouldn't suggest them either since they typically require live food.

I'd personally just go with 6-8 cpds, ammonos, and either a peacock gudgeon pair or sparkling gourami pair.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't put any type of danio in anything smaller than a 20. they are active fish, and a 10 gallon would be cramped.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have some in a 10g, they are pretty mellow compared to just about any other danio and they are perfectly active and healthy in a 10g. Celestieal pearls really aren't the typically danio, this being said I'd still not put them in anything less than 5g with 20" length.

Zentuckyfriedchicken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you for your ideas! I would rather not do schooling fish. I am not against gouramis though. Would there be any bottom dweller fine in 10 gallons?

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There’s Asian stone cats, shrimp, or snails for bottom dwellers in a 10. Peacock gudgeons and other 10g acceptable gobies will also stay towards the bottom.

Zentuckyfriedchicken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I like the catfish. Would a school of 6 suffice? The only true freshwater goby is the ram variety. Right? My lfs has some freshwater gobies. I think I will get some few gobies (or order in the stone catfish) and put them in with a pair of Sparkling Gouramis. Would they work the Scarlet Badis too? If not, any suggestions to complete the stock?

I personally love pea puffers and am getting one for my 5g!!

If you want puffers, they can eat frozen/live bloodworms, live snails, frozen/live brine shrimp or any other natural water protein you can get them to eat really (including new born fry and shrimp) Do any of those options sound ok to you?

They need lots of plants and hiding places too (but that just makes the tank look better). Their really awesome once they have settled in though
I do have frozen bloodworms for my angels as a treat. They gobble it up fast! My mom thinks that they are cute, I would just have to feed frozen only.

Zentuckyfriedchicken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok, I will sneak some snails in once in a while

I now have 3 stocks:
1. Scarlet Badis trio, and 6 Asian stone catfish or 6 cherry shrimp
2. Pea puffer trio
3. Sparkling Gourami trio, Scarlet Badis trio, and 6 Catfish or shrimp
On number 3 aqadvisor warns me saying that when the Gourami start to breed, the Scarlet Badis will be unable to coexist.

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
If you go for pea puffers, some will eat frozen food. I personally never feed any live food to mine, they love the frozen Mysis shrimps and the home made frozen food I give them! At first I had to move the food in front of them to make them eat but now the wait for it impatiently everyday!

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Shell dwellers are okay in a 10, and about 6, 3 pairs should be okay. Just make sure you have multiple shells for them to choose from and change shells. Also helps to use some texas holy rock to break sight will help also. If you wanted a single fish, how about a paradise fish? They get about 4 inches, aren't too terribly active and are pretty calm yet pugnacious. Mexican orange crayfish are pretty cool, and about 3-4 would be pretty neat to see. Or a single electric blue crayfish, or some amano shrimps and cherry shrimps with mystery snails.

Fishoholic23

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a trio of Neolamprologus Simils, a shellwelling cichlid but I would recommend it if it's your first tank, which IDK if it is yours or not. Super cute and unique to keep.

Zentuckyfriedchicken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok I now have a 5 stocks!
1. Scarlet Badis trio, and 6 Asian stone catfish or 6 cherry shrimp
2. Pea puffer trio
3. Sparkling Gourami trio, Scarlet Badis trio, and 6 Catfish or shrimp
4. Shell dweller (3 or 6?)
5. Paradise fish
I have had 4 tanks, 40 gallon angel tank (active), 10 gallon with tetras (torn down), with betta (torn down), 3 gallon with betta (active)

Zentuckyfriedchicken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
1. Scarlet Badis trio, and 6 Asian stone catfish or 6 cherry shrimp (4)
2. Pea puffer trio (1)
3. Sparkling Gourami pair, Scarlet Badis trio, and 6 Catfish or shrimp (3)
4. Shell dweller (2)
I have had 4 tanks, 40 gallon angel tank (active), 10 gallon with tetras (torn down), with betta (torn down), 3 gallon with betta (active)

I have ranked them by preference

Wait. Paradise fish need 30 gallons, removed

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm planning on getting 3 scarlet badis, 5 otocinclus, 3 mystery snails, and 4 amano shrimps, and maybe a school of ember tetra, though I might not. Sparklers also might harass the badis during breeding time, based of of some research. Also you need to have some sort of culture of live food as the badis can be picky. I read that they like the microworms I have cultured in my room. Even if you decide against the badis, you'll need them when the fish breed and or as a nice microfood for nano fish. Hope this helps?

Wait. Paradise fish need 30 gallons, removed
Actually, they do fine in 10 gallons as they aren't active and stay about 4 inches and below. They are perfectly fine in 10 gallons alone.

Zentuckyfriedchicken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I’m thinking that I will do some shell dwelling cichlids. Maybe start with a pair and let them populate the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom