Uninvited guests... Question

1. jaymucca

jaymucca Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, i have recently discovered 3 uninvited guests in my fish tank. They are small snails, each about 3 mm in diameter. they have been growing day by day, and i am not sure if i want them there or not. They were introduced into the fish tank when i bought a live plant that they were hiding in. should i keep these snails or not? what would you do? thanks a lot. Please, if you know, can you tell me the advantages and disadvantages of having snails in your tank. Cheers!

James

2. Beth1965

Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +6
    :;snail I happen to love snails, I love to watch them and they eat dead plant leaves. Since I love em, I'd keep em. You're gonna hear the opposite from many too.
    :;snail.

3. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +118
    Yes, you'll hear the opposite from a lot of people, but in my experience you won't have a population explosion if you are diligent about maintenance and take care not to overfeed. :)

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +271
    Hello Jay. I think snails can be a wonderful addition to aquariums. I have Mystery Snails myself and find them just about as entertaining as fish. (not quiet though ).
    Snail photos
    Ken

5. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +9
    If they are pond snails I say you should smash them, then you could go get some mystery snails or ramhorn snails, I have 2 red ramhorn snails and they are my favorite type of snail so far

6. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +175
    When I first ended up with pond snails, I tried getting rid of them. It didn't work (except the tank I put a goldfish in... the goldfish ate them all in a day).
    However, I've found that if I don't overfeed the tank and if I keep up on my water changes, I have no problems with the snails. The population remains in check and does a decent job of cleaning up garbage.

7. Aldric

Aldric Member Member

Ratings:
    +4
    i personaly hate the pond snails and no matter how carefull I am i still end up with them i try not to over feed but somehow they still breed like mad tho I have found a new way (tonight) to try and controle them. Ive found out that i can use my fish net to scoop them from the sand covering the bottom of my tank and just shake the net like a sieve and the sand falls out of the net holes but NOT the snail!!!!!
    *prays for a snail free tank.......