Uninvited guests... Question

1. jaymucca Initiate Member

Hi guys, i have recently discovered 3 uninvited guests in my fish tank. They are small snails, each about 3 mm in diameter. they have been growing day by day, and i am not sure if i want them there or not. They were introduced into the fish tank when i bought a live plant that they were hiding in. should i keep these snails or not? what would you do? thanks a lot. Please, if you know, can you tell me the advantages and disadvantages of having snails in your tank. Cheers!

James

2. Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

:;snail I happen to love snails, I love to watch them and they eat dead plant leaves. Since I love em, I'd keep em. You're gonna hear the opposite from many too.
    :;snail.

3. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, you'll hear the opposite from a lot of people, but in my experience you won't have a population explosion if you are diligent about maintenance and take care not to overfeed. :)

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Jay. I think snails can be a wonderful addition to aquariums. I have Mystery Snails myself and find them just about as entertaining as fish. (not quiet though ).
    Snail photos
    Ken

5. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

If they are pond snails I say you should smash them, then you could go get some mystery snails or ramhorn snails, I have 2 red ramhorn snails and they are my favorite type of snail so far

6. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

When I first ended up with pond snails, I tried getting rid of them. It didn't work (except the tank I put a goldfish in... the goldfish ate them all in a day).
    However, I've found that if I don't overfeed the tank and if I keep up on my water changes, I have no problems with the snails. The population remains in check and does a decent job of cleaning up garbage.

7. Aldric Member Member

i personaly hate the pond snails and no matter how carefull I am i still end up with them i try not to over feed but somehow they still breed like mad tho I have found a new way (tonight) to try and controle them. Ive found out that i can use my fish net to scoop them from the sand covering the bottom of my tank and just shake the net like a sieve and the sand falls out of the net holes but NOT the snail!!!!!
    *prays for a snail free tank.......