Unidentified Worms! Please HELP

amatueraquariumist

Reaction score
I moved out of my house for a couple of months due to the COVID situation and left my aquariums back home (my family 'took care' of them).
The tetra tank:
- 50L Tank
- 6 neon tetras
- 2 nerite snails
- amazon sword
- anubias nana
- ludwigla
- java moss

After returning back, I found that the tetras have died off and a found a new worm inside of the tank. I have never seen such a worm in any tank. I have asked around in several aquarium shops and checked with other hobbyists, but no-one has ever seen something like so.

Heres a short clip :

I don't want to throw in any chemicals, I'm thinking of just emptying the whole thing and making a new setup. However, should I keep the plants? Should I use a new substrate? Should I just wash everything with warm water?

Attachments

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The bottom one of those worms is a leech which leads me to think the other one is as well its just the way it looks

Tallen78

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
amatueraquariumist said:
I moved out of my house for a couple of months due to the COVID situation and left my aquariums back home (my family 'took care' of them).
The tetra tank:
- 50L Tank
- 6 neon tetras
- 2 nerite snails
- amazon sword
- anubias nana
- ludwigla
- java moss

After returning back, I found that the tetras have died off and a found a new worm inside of the tank. I have never seen such a worm in any tank. I have asked around in several aquarium shops and checked with other hobbyists, but no-one has ever seen something like so.

Heres a short clip :

I don't want to throw in any chemicals, I'm thinking of just emptying the whole thing and making a new setup. However, should I keep the plants? Should I use a new substrate? Should I just wash everything with warm water?
Maybe detritus worms from lack of proper maintenance

OP
A

amatueraquariumist

Reaction score
richiep said:
The bottom one of those worms is a leech which leads me to think the other one is as well its just the way it looks
To be fair that is what I think so as well. Yesterday I emptied everything, I washed the plants under running water and made sure to clean the leaves properly. Then I soaked everything else in boiling water. They started to pop up out of nowhere!

I left the substrate in the sun this morning and the plants submerged in a bucket. I hope I do not find anymore worms. However I am scared of resetting everything up and having the same problem. Any advice please?

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Theres no need to strip down when things like this happen you deal with it in the tank, the unfortunate thing now is you have to start your cycle again, some get nasty hatches of dragonfly larvae which are deadly to shrimp but have no choice but to deal with it in the tank, i understand how people feel when they see bugs worms and everything that goes with it pop out of nowhere but you'll find theŕ are people here on fishlore that can advise on the right course of action.
I hope you've got rid of them

OP
A

amatueraquariumist

Reaction score
richiep said:
Theres no need to strip down when things like this happen you deal with it in the tank, the unfortunate thing now is you have to start your cycle again, some get nasty hatches of dragonfly larvae which are deadly to shrimp but have no choice but to deal with it in the tank, i understand how people feel when they see bugs worms and everything that goes with it pop out of nowhere but you'll find theŕ are people here on fishlore that can advise on the right course of action.
I hope you've got rid of them
Aye, I hope so! I've got a sponge soaking in another aquarium which will maybe help to kickstart the cycle all over again.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom