Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Unidentified Worm

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by kriptus, Apr 25, 2019.

1. kriptusNew MemberMember

IMG_20190425_084914.jpgScreenshot_20190425-101336.jpg

I have a cycled planted tank that i was preparing to get some noecarodinas. I have gone abroad for a week and came back to find some worm like thing swimming around the tank. Its not the usual small worm such as planaria or any mosquito larvae its quite bigger (see photo).
    What could this be ??

2. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

It could be a tubifix worm but they normally stand in groups out of the substrait, looking at the second photo it flat and looks to have a pointed head just like planaria but I've never come across one that big so you could rule that out, can you catch him put in a jer for a closer look

3. kriptusNew MemberMember

He comes out rarely like 1 out of 3 days i can seehim going around the other days i i cannot spot him anywhere. Even when i did a water change he didn't come out. When he was out i tried to catch him without success he darted into nowhere xD ill try again if i manage to see him.
    I am scared to get the shrimps now, do not know what the thing is..... Its too huge for planaria, and to flat to be a nematode

4. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

Do you have leeches where you are that could have hichhicked in, the only other I can think of is tubifix but should see more plus the characteristics of that one is strange, how long do you recon he is I'll then try and source more information

5. kriptusNew MemberMember

Yo my knowledge there are no leeches where I live, I've never seen one in my life. The water I add id from the tap (chlorinated) and afterwhich i dechlorinate it, so it would be very hard for anything to be in the water.
    Also I've looked up tubifix worms, theyre theyre segmented and round. The one in the tank is flattish. I know its difficult to visualise on the video sorry.

6. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

I understand it must have come in on a plant whatever it is, it will be very interesting to see when you do catch it, how long is it?

7. kriptusNew MemberMember

I would say hes about 3/4 cm long, quite huge for an aquarium worm xD the wierd thing is i have never seen him in the tank and its been running with the plants inside for like 2 months now and this is the first time he made his appearance.

8. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

it sounds interesting what ever it turns out to be. planaria are the only nastie i know of you could try a few sacrificial shrimp, i'v looked at that second and it really looks like a diamond shape head, so i went looking and this is what i found

The length is usually about 3 to 15 mm (0.1 to 0.6 inch); some grow to more than 30 cm (about 1 foot) long. Tropical species are often brightly coloured. Members of the North American genus Dugesia are black, gray, or brown. Planarians swim with an undulating motion or creep like slugs.

9. bettaboy92New MemberMember

To me it looks like a speices of horse hair worm but they tend to be really long 6--12 inches

10. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

Well I've never come across horse hair worms before but I think @bettaboy92 may well have identified them, theres toads of pictures on them

11. kriptusNew MemberMember

I took a look at those horsehair worms, and frankly i dont think its so. As the worm seems to have a flattish appearance not round such as the horsehair. He swims like a snake, i tried to upload the mp4 video but i couldn't. Any ideas how i can show you the video?

12. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

You need to post it as z private video on YouTube then link to this post, did you look at my last post I found about 12" planaria