Unidentified weird tiny plant

IzabelB

I have papyrus reed, anubias, Java fern, dwarf water lettuce and Java moss in my tank. It looks most similar to the papyrus reeds roots, but I only put it in there about a week ago and it’s a cutting thats barely started to grow leaves.
Does anyone know how papyrus reproduces (I don’t know what else to call it) edit: propagate is what I was thinking of
. . . Is it releasing little baby leaves that grow roots?

Attachments

• 2A444803-D0FB-4AF9-B7FE-B6D553EB0AAA.jpeg
    2A444803-D0FB-4AF9-B7FE-B6D553EB0AAA.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 45

AggressiveAquatics

That’s hard to tell on a plant with one leaf but the green part looks like a root to a banana plant

Upvote 0

IzabelB

That’s hard to tell on a plant with one leaf but the green part looks like a root to a banana plant
I recall that one of the anubias I recently got was in the same tank with a banana plant. That would be so cool!!
In the past month I’ve gotten Java moss and frogbit for free after they just randomly popped up in my tank, I would love to have a banana plant too. Maybe I’m getting lucky

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

When you say papyrus reed are you talking about Cyperus papyrus? If so, doesn't that stuff get huge--like 16 feet tall?

Anyway, I've obviously not grown papyrus reed, so I can't comment on it. But, I do have experience with the rest of the plants you listed, and I've never seen any of those produce little sprouts like the ones in your photo. Therefore, I would bet the spouts did not come from one of them.

Upvote 0

IzabelB

When you say papyrus reed are you talking about Cyperus papyrus? If so, doesn't that stuff get huge--like 16 feet tall?

Anyway, I've obviously not grown papyrus reed, so I can't comment on it. But, I do have experience with the rest of the plants you listed, and I've never seen any of those produce little sprouts like the ones in your photo. Therefore, I would bet the spouts did not come from one of them.
Yes Cyprus papyrus, maybe I should call it paper reed I think that’s the more common name. It can get super tall, the person who gave it to me kept it indoors with no trouble and I was hoping once it grows taller I can have it grow out of my aquarium.
Thanks! I didn’t think so either but I don’t know where else it could have come from because I don’t think paper reed propagates like that either

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I have to think you lucked out and got micro sprouts from some other plant from someones tank. A quick google search tells me paper reed propagates by cutting the rhizomes apart. It doesn't mention seeds. I've never had a banana plant but that would be great if that is what you have. Please keep us updated as these little guys grow.

Upvote 0

Random Great Thread!

New Plant Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom