Unidentified Swirls

Echiang12

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am new to aquarium tanks as my brother was the big fish guy. He had a former saltwater 80g tank with live rock that he eventually changed to fresh before he left. My dad who is a big pond guy put some small join in it and I recently restocked it with some tropical. My nitrates got real high and my pleco and betta died. So I went to do a water change and was cleaning some rocks when I found these on the under side. Not sure if they're a source of concern. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only thing that came to mind whe I enlarged you pics was perhaps some type of fungi. Did you try pulling a piece off and seeing if it pliable or breakable like a mushroom would be? If it is a type of large species of fungus their could certainly be small...even microscopic pathogens as well. Had you been doing ample water changes when the nitrates got high? You may wind up having to sterize the rocks and even treat the tank for fungi and/or paracites.
Echiang12 said:
Hey guys,

I am new to aquarium tanks as my brother was the big fish guy. He had a former saltwater 80g tank with live rock that he eventually changed to fresh before he left. My dad who is a big pond guy put some small join in it and I recently restocked it with some tropical. My nitrates got real high and my pleco and betta died. So I went to do a water change and was cleaning some rocks when I found these on the under side. Not sure if they're a source of concern. Any help would be appreciated.

Echiang12

Reaction score
It was uninhabited for awhile and I had done a couple changes but didn't measure it. I'm in the process of tanking some rocks out at a time to sterilize because I don't want to freak out my fish.

Echiang12

Reaction score
Yes. He did something with it first before he left but I'm not sure what in order to prep it for a freshwater tank

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those tubes you are seeing are actually left over from a common hitch hiking worm species found on live rock.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DutchAquarium said:
Those tubes you are seeing are actually left over from a common hitch hiking worm species found on live rock.
HA! I was right!! I’ve seen exactly that on other salt water rock. Wasen’t 100% positive bit was pretty sure.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom