Unidentified Snails

spencerh98

Reaction score
F7BA61B9-F8B8-4CD8-8FD7-03783FA3612B.jpeg
Hi! I have a 38 gallon planted tank that I recently set up and have noticed that some snails came with the plants. I can’t quite determine what kind of snails they are and was hoping someone could tell me if I should be worried are not. They aren’t asexual and don’t seem to reproduce at an alarming rate. Any help would be appreciated!

fjh

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
what makes you think they aren't asexual?
I would guess a bladder snail, but since I only see the foot I might be wrong. If they aren't asexual, then probably a brown mystery snail.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Definitely not a mystery snail, doesn't have a single characteristic, the body, mouth, shell, and antennae are all the wrong size/shape/color.
I think OP is just incorrect about the asexual aspect

eustoma01

Reaction score
Well with enough algae for it to eat you will soon see a bunch of tiny white dots moving across your substrate lol

OP
S

spencerh98

Reaction score
Rtessy said:
Definitely not a mystery snail, doesn't have a single characteristic, the body, mouth, shell, and antennae are all the wrong size/shape/color.
I think OP is just incorrect about the asexual aspect
I have seen pairs latch onto eachother and just assumed they were mating, but I could be completely wrong. My next question is, are these snails a threat to my plants? I have seen mixed reviews online and I’m considering picking up an assassin snail to deal with them. Thanks everyone for the speedy responses!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
spencerh98 said:
I have seen pairs latch onto eachother and just assumed they were mating, but I could be completely wrong. My next question is, are these snails a threat to my plants? I have seen mixed reviews online and I’m considering picking up an assassin snail to deal with them. Thanks everyone for the speedy responses!
Ah, I see. They reproduce asexually and hemaphroditically, depends if there's others around.
They won't eat live/healthy plants, but if the plants have dying areas, they will eat that.

New Threads