Unidentified Snails

Discussion in 'Snails' started by spencerh98, Apr 21, 2019.

1. spencerh98New MemberMember

F7BA61B9-F8B8-4CD8-8FD7-03783FA3612B.jpeg Hi! I have a 38 gallon planted tank that I recently set up and have noticed that some snails came with the plants. I can’t quite determine what kind of snails they are and was hoping someone could tell me if I should be worried are not. They aren’t asexual and don’t seem to reproduce at an alarming rate. Any help would be appreciated!

2. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Pond/bladder

3. fjhWell Known MemberMember

what makes you think they arent asexual?
    I would guess a bladder snail, but since I only see the foot I might be wrong. If they arent asexual, then probably a brown mystery snail.

4. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Definitely not a mystery snail, doesn't have a single characteristic, the body, mouth, shell, and antennae are all the wrong size/shape/color.
    I think OP is just incorrect about the asexual aspect

5. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Its a pond or bladder snail

6. eustoma01Valued MemberMember

Well with enough algae for it to eat you will soon see a bunch of tiny white dots moving across your substrate lol

7. spencerh98New MemberMember

I have seen pairs latch onto eachother and just assumed they were mating, but I could be completely wrong. My next question is, are these snails a threat to my plants? I have seen mixed reviews online and I’m considering picking up an assassin snail to deal with them. Thanks everyone for the speedy responses!

8. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Ah, I see. They reproduce asexually and hemaphroditically, depends if there's others around.
    They won't eat live/healthy plants, but if the plants have dying areas, they will eat that.