Unidentified Plant Sprout??

Grace Beale

Reaction score
I recently discovered a tiny aquatic leaf sprout in my 5 gallon tank (20 litres). It contains 4 guppies and a small clump of Java moss between two rocks.
I’m wondering what species this is.
Considering only Java moss has ever been inside this tank, I’m wondering if it could Java fern... are they the same species in different parts of their life cycle??
I don’t know how to add a photo but it is no longer than 2 cm (about half an inch), no wider than 3mm, is light green and takes on the rough shape of an adult Java fern leaf.
It’s also all by itself, just spurting out of the gravel...

GreekGills

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A picture is definitely needed to identify the plant. Click user name at top right, profile page, albums, add album to add photos to it

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Java moss and java fern are completely diferent species. But i agree need a pic to id.

Baba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
let it grow out a bit more. Right now it's not possible to ID this plant. The picture quality is also not very good.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks like java fern but ive ever seen it growing like that but you gravel looks pretty big.

GreekGills

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Some type of fern or sword I think, so tiny though. Give it a week or two and dose ferts to help the little guy out

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Any chance you have a bird or any other way a seed made it into the tank? I know my bird flings seed and who knows where they’ll land. Looks more like the beginning of a crypt runner but you’d need a parent plant for that. Not a fern of any sort IMO.

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It’s too early to tell, but all the Java Moss that I have ever purchased cake with tiny Fern rhizomes in the moss, and ended up growing java ferns that i cut out and planted. so it isn’t beyond reason to think you have a baby fern

Grace Beale

Reaction score
Demeter said:
Any chance you have a bird or any other way a seed made it into the tank? I know my bird flings seed and who knows where they’ll land. Looks more like the beginning of a crypt runner but you’d need a parent plant for that. Not a fern of any sort IMO.
I do have a bird but he lives upstairs way out of reach of all my tanks, I think a seed must have been carried out of pet barn with some fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom