Unidentified molt in shrimp tank

richiep

ok i found this molt in my blue shrimp tank which i find very weird, it measures 1.5 cm or just over, it looks to be hinged in places. the worm crawled out while under the microscope and i think it as nothing to do with it apart from having a meal, i think the front is to the right and at that end is some sort of mandible.
nothing whatsoever as been added to this tank for 12 months when the shrimp went in.
ive looked and looked and cant find the host at present. youll also see a seed shrimp bouncing around but is not part of this
Feohw this may be up your street but all suggestions and input may put me on track to id this thing, at present im not keen to have the living one in my tank, the other thing its winter here and our temp is 3c to 8c

mattgirl

Oh my goodness. that is a creepy looking critter molt. I do hope you will be able to find whatever crawled out of it.

richiep

Looking at the one end it could well be a shrimp eater if those are jaws
Oh my goodness. that is a creepy looking critter molt. I do hope you will be able to find whatever crawled out of it.

MrMutton

Might be detritus worms? I have seen them on stale shrimp molts every once in a while. If not then parasitic worms from a nearby fish tank might be a possibility?

Blacksheep1

It almost looks like a crab leg moult !? How bizarre . Did you get to the bottom of this richiep ?

MacZ

Definitely a part of an exuvia. Either the mandible or part of a leg of a dragonfly larva. And seeing these hairs on it: I think it's a leg.

The worm is just coincidence.

Blacksheep1

I agree it looks like a leg of some sort. would larva be about this time of year with our temperatures? Im not well up on insects at all so I’m sorry if that seems a silly question

MacZ

would larva be about this time of year with our temperatures?
Dragonfly larvae live underwater for a year, some species up to three before changing into an adult dragonfly. Exuviae also can take a long time to rot, so this piece could have been in the tank for months and the dragonfly could be either still somewhere in the tank or have changed into an adult last summer already and be gone for good.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Renaissanista
Replies
Views
PeteStevers
Replies
Views
Florian Pellet
Replies
Views