Unidentified Invert Flitting Around In Shrimp Tank Help 

shrimpdude

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Earlier this evening I was taking a look at my secondary 2.5gal shrimp tank I use to keep extras from breeding in, and I noticed a creature I have never seen before and couldn't identify even after exhaustive google searches. A user on this forum posted a thread in 2011 describing the same creature but all the pictures are dead on that thread so I'm going to quote hagmegsis's description here. "The I first thought was a needle form my horn wort until it started gyrating. It had little attena type things and a red dot type thing that im assuming was its head. It was green with a brownish tiped butt. [...] Oh but the green one seemed to have a very hard time swimming and its but did not seem designed for swimming but more for like floating through the water."

It's a freshwater tank but this thing moves almost like a baby brine shrimp, I did also see it grasping on to surfaces with little legs it also swam with.

This little thing is driving me crazy and I have no idea if it's gonna hurt my shrimp or not so any help would be greatly appreciated.

wishkahryan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
shrimpdude said:
Earlier this evening I was taking a look at my secondary 2.5gal shrimp tank I use to keep extras from breeding in, and I noticed a creature I have never seen before and couldn't identify even after exhaustive google searches. A user on this forum posted a thread in 2011 describing the same creature but all the pictures are dead on that thread so I'm going to quote hagmegsis's description here. "The I first thought was a needle form my horn wort until it started gyrating. It had little attena type things and a red dot type thing that im assuming was its head. It was green with a brownish tiped butt. [...] Oh but the green one seemed to have a very hard time swimming and its but did not seem designed for swimming but more for like floating through the water."

It's a freshwater tank but this thing moves almost like a baby brine shrimp, I did also see it grasping on to surfaces with little legs it also swam with.

This little thing is driving me crazy and I have no idea if it's gonna hurt my shrimp or not so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Could it be some type of a scud I have seen them in freshwater ponds and streams.

shrimpdude

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
wishkahryan said:
Could it be some type of a scud I have seen them in freshwater ponds and streams.
definitely not a scud, its a small larval looking thing with a greenish tube shaped shell(?)

LaTulip

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It kind of looks like a caterpillar. I’ve only heard about them. But yes, there are aquatic caterpillars. I bet you that it eats plants. Yikes! That makes me nervous!

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That looks very much like Hydra that is floating around just waiting for its foot to grab onto a surface, if it is that you will then see little tentacles come out of the top

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom