Unidentified Invert Flitting Around In Shrimp Tank

shrimpdude

Earlier this evening I was taking a look at my secondary 2.5gal shrimp tank I use to keep extras from breeding in, and I noticed a creature I have never seen before and couldn't identify even after exhaustive google searches. A user on this forum posted a thread in 2011 describing the same creature but all the pictures are dead on that thread so I'm going to quote hagmegsis's description here. "The I first thought was a needle form my horn wort until it started gyrating. It had little attena type things and a red dot type thing that I'm assuming was its head. It was green with a brownish tiped butt. [...] Oh but the green one seemed to have a very hard time swimming and its but did not seem designed for swimming but more for like floating through the water."

It's a freshwater tank but this thing moves almost like a baby brine shrimp, I did also see it grasping on to surfaces with little legs it also swam with.

This little thing is driving me crazy and I have no idea if it's gonna hurt my shrimp or not so any help would be greatly appreciated.

wishkahryan

shrimpdude said:
Earlier this evening I was taking a look at my secondary 2.5gal shrimp tank I use to keep extras from breeding in, and I noticed a creature I have never seen before and couldn't identify even after exhaustive google searches. A user on this forum posted a thread in 2011 describing the same creature but all the pictures are dead on that thread so I'm going to quote hagmegsis's description here. "The I first thought was a needle form my horn wort until it started gyrating. It had little attena type things and a red dot type thing that I'm assuming was its head. It was green with a brownish tiped butt. [...] Oh but the green one seemed to have a very hard time swimming and its but did not seem designed for swimming but more for like floating through the water."

It's a freshwater tank but this thing moves almost like a baby brine shrimp, I did also see it grasping on to surfaces with little legs it also swam with.

This little thing is driving me crazy and I have no idea if it's gonna hurt my shrimp or not so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Could it be some type of a scud I have seen them in freshwater ponds and streams.

OP
shrimpdude

shrimpdude

wishkahryan said:
Could it be some type of a scud I have seen them in freshwater ponds and streams.
definitely not a scud, its a small larval looking thing with a greenish tube shaped shell(?)

OP
shrimpdude

shrimpdude

wishkahryan said:
Is there any way you could get a picture of it
I'll do ya one better, heres a google drive link to a video I took with my phone

LaTulip

It kind of looks like a caterpillar. I’ve only heard about them. But yes, there are aquatic caterpillars. I bet you that it eats plants. Yikes! That makes me nervous!

richiep

Fishlore VIP
That looks very much like Hydra that is floating around just waiting for its foot to grab onto a surface, if it is that you will then see little tentacles come out of the top

New Threads