Unidentified Disease

1. Grantly23 Initiate Member

Hey guys, I have a 120L freshwater setup
    1yr old
    airpump, heater, filter
    Ph 6.6
    36 degrees Celsius

I have one medium golden severum and a small green severum. for the last few months iv been trying to figure out what disease the fish have it varies from good to worst and iv tried using muti cure and stress coat to get rid of it. I'm just wondering if anyone know what it might be.

it is white size up to a grain of rice on the fishes sides and smaller on fins sometimes. Today the larger severum, whom hasn't had the disease for a month or has got with thin patch of something on his fins it's starting to look a bit like a tiny piece of string on the fins of both fish.. ill attach some picture of green severum. any help would be much appreciated.
    IMG_2514.jpg

IMG_2516.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg

2. toosie Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore!

I'm not entirely sure what your fish has, but is your temperature of the tank really 36C? Is this a typo? That is extremely warm water. It's not going to contain a whole lot of oxygen so I hope you have a lot of surface movement to try to keep the oxygen level high enough. Fungus's and some bacterial infections will reproduce quicker in warm water. Your severum really only requires water set between 24C and 29C. Do you have a particular reason for having it so warm?

3. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Let's see.....white cottony growth sprouting from body and fins - bacterial infection known as Columnaris. Is there any sign of cottony growth on their mouth or looks like its deteriorating? Fins raggedy?

Is 36c a typo? Did you mean 26c?

Do you own a test kit to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? How often and how much water do you change? Clean freshwater is important on a daily bases when fish are I'll. Have you been doing that? Substrate vacs?

Have you tried mass water changes with substrate vacs along with the Stress Coat?

Sounds like an infection that needs meds with a kick. I would try Maracyn Plus if you can get it. Or Maracyn and Maracyn-two together. Remove activated carbon. Do a large water change with a good substrate vac before treating. Reduce temperature to 72-75F. Soak their food in fresh garlic juice to boost immune system. Clove of garlic mashed up with little water.

Meds can harm beneficial bacteria so getting a bottle of Prime to have on hand is a good idea for mass water changes after. Daily water changes after for several days with garlic soaked foods.

Best I got for you. I wish you the best for your fish. Just remember 30-50% of clean freshwater on a weekly bases is important for an established tank. Good hygiene and balanced diet.