Unidentified brown growth

JamieCR5

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me what this brown growth 73EF7305-2466-43C5-9736-8CC308D056E9.jpegis? I can’t find it anywhere, it’s not taking over just growing and I was curious as to what it is
We have a 80l freshwater aquarium, heated to 27 degrees, 9 danio or similar sized fish, around 10 shrimp

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like Diatom algae growing on exposed root filaments.

OP
JamieCR5

JamieCR5

Reaction score
Thanks, I looked at images of diatom algae and doesn’t look like what I’ve got. And the growth is growing that thickly, not on any roots. It’s quite bendy and blows about in the current, easily cut but hard to pull off

lojack

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s still probably brown diatom algae. I had some growing on an old filter output. I figured better there than on my plants. After awhile it would develop into long strands from the flow. I would pick it off with my fingers when it got too long.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JamieCR5 said:
Hi, can anyone tell me what this brown growth 73EF7305-2466-43C5-9736-8CC308D056E9.jpegis? I can’t find it anywhere, it’s not taking over just growing and I was curious as to what it is
We have a 80l freshwater aquarium, heated to 27 degrees, 9 danio or similar sized fish, around 10 shrimp
Are you referring to the algae on the tips of your plants? If so that is black beard algae. If your talking about the strands to the left of your shrimp then i have no idea.

OP
JamieCR5

JamieCR5

Reaction score
lojack said:
It’s still probably brown diatom algae. I had some growing on an old filter output. I figured better there than on my plants. After awhile it would develop into long strands from the flow. I would pick it off with my fingers when it got too long.
Thanks, I’ve taken to trimming it with some scissors. Was hoping that’s not going to seed it all over the rest of the tank but seems to be keeping it under control

OP
JamieCR5

JamieCR5

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
Are you referring to the algae on the tips of your plants? If so that is black beard algae. If your talking about the strands to the left of your shrimp then i have no idea.
Brown strands thanks, have a black beard algae but it never gets out of hand so just live with it

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It has to be some kind of plant of some sort. Strange! Following to see if anyone can figure it out!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JamieCR5 said:
Brown strands thanks, have a black beard algae but it never gets out of hand so just live with it
Is it the roots of your plant? is that an anubis that is buried in your substrate? maybe it is shooting the roots out that color. Anubis should be left out of the substrate by tying gluing or an elastic to your hardscape such as a piece of driftwood or a rock.

New Threads