Unidentified baby snail!

EAWT

I am new to the aquarium keeping world. I have a new tank and the initial cycle all went well. I recently built up my stock to a school of 8 harlequin rasbora, 6 red cherry shrimp and a nerite snail. All was going well so I decided to replace my artificial plants with real ones. 2 weeks ago I added a piece of drift wood with java moss and a java fern, then 4 days ago two lava rocks with anubias and java moss. Wonderful... except today I see an unidentified baby snail! I now feel really stupid for not researching how to treat and introduce new plants to an aquarium... please can you help ID it?

It was a yellowish colour, only a few mm long, had a reasonably long foot/shell ratio and moved quite quickly for a snail. I've added a photo although it was hard to take a clear one. After trying to photograph it I panicked that it might be something sinister and tried to fish it out, but ended up knocking it to the bottom and I now can't find it... should I be panicking?

Not sure if this helps, and maybe I imagined this, but when it was climbing up the glass the harlequins were very interested in it and have been schooling more making me think they are nervous - perhaps I'm projecting though! lol

Attachments

• IMG_20210503_150924.jpg
    IMG_20210503_150924.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20210503_150134.jpg
    IMG_20210503_150134.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 27

richiep

It's a pond or bladder snail they will breed fast so if you don't want more take it out or crush it on the glass for the fish to eat, some consider them a pest

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

Just a bladder snail, completely harmless. They help keep your tank clean. Just don't overfeed because they'll reproduce too much. But that's also a good sign that you're feeding too much so it's still helpful

Upvote 0

Maryellen

Looks like a pond or bladder snail. Super common. Harmless, just a pest! taking one out likely won’t do anything, there’s certainly others. they spawn very quickly. I have them in all my tanks and I like them. When I see an influx in my population, it means I have a lot of dead plant matter and it’s time for a deep clean. I also have a puffer on the way, so I’m saving a bunch for him to snack on :p

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Snails in reasonable numbers are actually beneficial to our tanks. I agree on this species of snail. When you see one there are probably already many more in your tank. You can keep their numbers down by not over feeding the tank. Should you get more than you are comfortable with you can set a trap for them and remove some of them.

Upvote 0

EAWT

thanks all - appreciate the very quick replies! If I find him again I'll see if I can get him out/ feed him to the fish...

enjoy your new puffer Maryellen.

Upvote 0

Mcasella

I find bladder snails one of the easier pest snails to keep, they are keen algae eaters and help clean up leftover foods and even eat dying parts of plants, but not healthy plants. They will only reproduce to the food available, so if there is a population bloom that is the likeliest cause. They are easily outcompeted by other pest snails even though they have the advantage of being able to reproduce asexually as well as sexually (ramshorns have both sex organs but cannot self-fertilize, and trumpets are the devil in disguise that are livebearing snails).

A healthy population of bladder snails is beneficial to the tank that outweighs the negatives of them as long as you don't overfeed. They produce jelly like globs that house their eggs - ghost shrimp will feast on these snails eggs just before they hatch and keep population in check. Some shrimp will also eat the snails themselves (ghosts sometimes will, amanos will when they feel the need for more protein, neos will sometimes snack on crushed ones that can't get away).

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fisch
  • Question
Replies
Views
Brizburk
Replies
Views
JamieLu