Unheard Of Problem With Angelfish's Mouth

RealPerson

I've searched many sites and forums for an answer to my problem or at least someone who knows it but no one seems to know what's going on. Recently I discovered that my angelfish's mouth was stuck in an elongated position unable to open it to eat food even though he actively tried to eat it. According to my mom this had been happening on and off 4 times for the past month for usually short periods of time although this time it seems permanent. As of right now he still seems active but when its stuck he seems to decline. The only way I've been able to get him to open his mouth for long periods of time is to scare him/stress him out. Like when I cleaned the tank recently he was able to have it open for almost 6 hours. He has eaten a little since he started to permanently have this problem but now it seems not even scaring him will get him to open his mouth now.

Some details -

No other tank mates

Everything in the tank is fine except for nitrites/nitrates

40 gal

temp - 80~ F

Please, if anyone knows what's going on I could really use the help.

Its probably dislocated what can I do about it?

Attachments

• 20190807_222032.jpg
    20190807_222032.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 20190808_131818.jpg
    20190808_131818.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 20190807_222042.jpg
    20190807_222042.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 81

richiep

Croeso welcom to fishlore
I'm going to give angelcraze a shout to see if she as any theories incase no one else jumps in,
Sorry to see this happening

angelcraze

Hi, how's he doing now?

I'm so sorry, I don't have any suggestions as I've never seen this either, but I read about some aquarists trying to relocate the jaw, but I honestly don't know how to do that and it sounds more permanent Fish breathe thru their mouths, so it must be a bit opened....

I suppose you could try feeding him with a syringe, but if it's a permanent injury or deformity, might not be a longterm solution or anything.

Wish I had better news or a idea to help him. Hope someone does!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
SparkyJones
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
Replies
Views
angteg35
Replies