Unhappy betta

1. Heather12404 Member Member

I have my betta in a 10G with:
    6 neon tetras
    4 male endlers
    1 mystery snail
    approx. 10 red cherry shrimp
    All he does is lay on the gravel or perch himself in various plants all day long. He'll swim up to the surface for air throughout the day. But I've recently been reading on here about how other peoples bettas are very active, etc. Mine is not at all.
    Should I move the neons and endlers to my 29G? Or should I just leave things as they are? When I first got him he was very active (in my 29G), I've had him since Oct./Nov. 2011 so about 6 months.
    I got the 10G so he could have his own tank. But he seems to hate it. I would put him in the 29G, but I also have a DG and I know those 2 don't mix. Maybe I should put the DG in the 10G and the betta in the 29G?
    I don't know what to do, I just want my betta boy to be happy and active again.
    Advice please.

2. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

I would get the other fish out maybe therre stressing him.

3. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

You say you got him the 10gal so he could have his own tank, but you put other fish in with him. That is a contradiction.

That being said, I would be willing to bet that the other fish are stressing him out. Every single male betta I have put into a community tank has become stressed and listless. I've tried it three times now, and none of them worked.

4. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I also tried a male betta in a community tank, and he was not a happy camper. Also, others may correct me on this, but I think it may be a wee bit overstocked. These two things put together make for an unhappy betta indeed!

I would not suggest putting the dwarf gourami in a 10 gallon. In research I've done (I'm thinking of getting one), I've read that 24 gallons is the minimum, so 10 gallons with neons and endlers would definitely be a bit cramped.

5. Heather12404 Member Member

My plan is the next water change/gravel vac I do on the 10G the neons and endlers will be moved into the 29G. It's easier to net the fish when the tank is empty of all decor and plants. So all that will be in the 10G: my betta, 1 mystery snail, and about 10 red cherry shrimp.
    I figured that was what I needed to do....just wanted to hear it from the experts.
    As always I much appreciate your input.