Unhappy betta - what do I do?

1. Heather12404 Member Member

My betta boy Jaws is not happy. He lays on the gravel behind plants or right next to the intake of the filter on the gravel. He eats and swims to the surface every once in a while. But he's just not as active as he use to be. I think he's unhappy. He looks fine physically.
    10G tank parameters:
    pH = 8.2 (my usual)
    Ammonia = 0
    Nitrite = 0
    Nitrate = 30 (my normal)
    Temp = 76 F
    Tank mates:
    6 Neon Tetras
    4 Endlers - male
    2 Purple Mystery Snails
    10 Red Cherry Shrimp
    So what do I need to do to have my happy betta boy back?

2. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

How old is he? He may just be getting older and less active.

Try adding some stress coat or a similar product to the tank.

3. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

change the scenery, get him his own tank, get him a mirror. All options.

4. Heather12404 Member Member

I don't know how old he is. I've had him since Oct. 2011 and I would say he's full grown for his size (2-3 inches).
    I wish I could get him his own tank, but my husband will not let me get another tank. I was planning on moving the Neons to my 29G (even thought it's fully stocked), I'm worried my DG will eat my Endlers so I don't dare put them in the 29G - since they're expensive little fish.
    I change the tank decor every week. I use the same plants and decor, but I change where I put things.
    He has a betta log that he likes to rest in when a snail or shrimp isn't in it.

5. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

You have a lot of active fish in there with him. He may be stressed from all the activity. Is he still eating? You could try to divide the tank a little bit so that he has a space to himself.

6. snapper Well Known Member Member

My betta would be miserable with all those tankmates. How long have you had that arrangement?

7. Heather12404 Member Member

He's been in there with everyone since Nov. He's been fine or acting fine for a long time. Only recently has he started to act this way.
    I'm thinking I'll move the Neons to my 29G. My endlers need to stay in the 10G, because I'm afraid that my Dwarf Gourami will eat them.

8. Shine Well Known Member Member

Sounds kind of like the same activity level a couple of mine display: limited, with a lot of resting unless food is involved ;)

Both of mine are coming up on 3 years old though so I put it down to age. Hope Jaws is fine. I recently moved one of my 'old' boys into a tank with rcs and a couple endlers... He appears to have become much more active again, but that could be due to stimulation... and the added protein: given that he ate all the shrimp and one of the endlers. Monster that he is

9. Heather12404 Member Member

I know I lucked out when i got Jaws because he's the most laid back betta I have ever seen. He'll flare and charge at a new tank member and then leaves them alone. He doesn't go after anyone and everyone stays away from him.
    I still have all of my endlers and all of my red cherry shrimp.
    Do you think my DG would eat my endlers? I do not want my endlers to get eaten....for two reasons: 1. I love how colorful they are and 2. they were expensive little buggers.
    I think Jaws would be ok with shrimp and snails in his tank.

10. Shine Well Known Member Member

LOL--I think we named ours wrong then because 'jaws' is exactly what Windago looks like when he is trying to hunt down the endlers >:D

From what I have seen with my boys, they tend to get less active with age... as if they are tired of dragging their tail-sails around and would rather take it easy. That said, I am still shocked by the speed Windago can produce when he thinks he's running down prey.

Not sure on the DG and endlers... Haven't owned one yet, so I can't give a decent answer to that one. Thing is Jaws might not be 'unhappy' or stressed at all... or he might be :;dk Its really hard to say without seeing him. As I said, my two spend a lot of time resting on the gravel, plants, or in a castle ornament. And the one (Ryu) has been doing that for over a year now.

11. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

how big are the endlers? If they fit in the DGs mouth then yeah, they will eat them.

12. Heather12404 Member Member

The endlers are a little smaller than 1 inch in length (and that's full grown!). I had some blue pearl shrimp in my 29G and Bob, my DG ate them all within 5 minutes. So I thought for sure that Jaws would eat all of the red cherry shrimp, but he never did and they are thriving....I even have at least 1 pregnant female shrimp.

13. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

yeah.....i wouldnt trust him with the endlers. They shouldnt be bothering the betta too much