Unfortunate incident

1. Jayson Initiate Member

Yeah I use to have two hatchets, but one fine day I decided to clean the bottom. I took the top off and proceeded with a homemade suction device. Once done, my sister told me that she no longer saw the other hatchet. I searched everywhere around the tank and I finally discovered the hatchet under a piece of furniture nearby. He was still moving so I quickly reintroduced him into the tank. He seemed to be doing fine, but was later visited by the grim reaper.

The lesson from the accident: since Hatchets spend the majority of their time near the surface, be cautious when the top is off, because these guys can jump like rockets when frightened.

-Jason

2. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your fish. I know they become like close friends and it is hard when they die. My sympathies go to you. Thanks for the lesson. It is one I need to listen to as my Bettas are jumpers too.

Rose

3. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

:'(

4. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry to hear this. It still amazes me that fish can actually jump out of a tank! This is not the first post here about fish jumping out.

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Hatchets in a big enough tank will actually skim the water because of how they swim. so without a top or the top raised they will just "fly" right out. Sorry you lost one :-\
    Carol

6. Jason Well Known Member Member

Bad look they look pretty cool! ;D