Unfortunate incident

Jayson

Reaction score
Yeah I use to have two hatchets, but one fine day I decided to clean the bottom. I took the top off and proceeded with a homemade suction device. Once done, my sister told me that she no longer saw the other hatchet. I searched everywhere around the tank and I finally discovered the hatchet under a piece of furniture nearby. He was still moving so I quickly reintroduced him into the tank. He seemed to be doing fine, but was later visited by the grI'm reaper.

The lesson from the accident: since Hatchets spend the majority of their time near the surface, be cautious when the top is off, because these guys can jump like rockets when frightened.

-Jason

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your fish. I know they become like close friends and it is hard when they die. My sympathies go to you. Thanks for the lesson. It is one I need to listen to as my Bettas are jumpers too.

Rose

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sorry to hear this. It still amazes me that fish can actually jump out of a tank! This is not the first post here about fish jumping out.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hatchets in a big enough tank will actually skI'm the water because of how they swim. so without a top or the top raised they will just "fly" right out. Sorry you lost one :-\
Carol

New Threads