Unfortunate incident

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by Jayson, Dec 22, 2005.

1. JaysonNew MemberMember

Yeah I use to have two hatchets, but one fine day I decided to clean the bottom. I took the top off and proceeded with a homemade suction device. Once done, my sister told me that she no longer saw the other hatchet. I searched everywhere around the tank and I finally discovered the hatchet under a piece of furniture nearby. He was still moving so I quickly reintroduced him into the tank. He seemed to be doing fine, but was later visited by the grim reaper.

The lesson from the accident: since Hatchets spend the majority of their time near the surface, be cautious when the top is off, because these guys can jump like rockets when frightened.

-Jason

2. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your fish. I know they become like close friends and it is hard when they die. My sympathies go to you. Thanks for the lesson. It is one I need to listen to as my Bettas are jumpers too.

Rose

3. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

4. Isabella

IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

Sorry to hear this. It still amazes me that fish can actually jump out of a tank! This is not the first post here about fish jumping out.

5. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Hatchets in a big enough tank will actually skim the water because of how they swim. so without a top or the top raised they will just "fly" right out. Sorry you lost one :-\
    Carol

6. JasonWell Known MemberMember

Bad look they look pretty cool! ;D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice