Unforgiving Llama's 29 Gal Freshwater Planted Tank

Unforgiving Llama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This 29 gallon freshwater planted tank was started on 8/19/2019. I am doing a Walstad method tank, play sand over organic potting soil.

I am giving it some time to get settled and established before I add my planned stock; red cherry shrimp, corydoras, and probably tetras or other nano fish of some kind. Right now it is home to bladder snails, copepods, and daphia, all of which came in with the plants. I also transferred in some of my pink ramshorns from my 10 gallon tank.

Plants include duckweed, hornwort, cryptocoryne wendtii, jungle vals, dwarf hairgrass, rotala vietnam, ludwigia repens, and java and Taiwan moss, plus pothos hanging out the back.

I will keep updating as things progress. I hope to get the first fish/shrimp into it by middle of October. I rushed things a bit with my first tank, so I am taking it nice and easy thing around.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Another lovely tank

Unforgiving Llama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

ColmC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Great planted tank, enjoy your cories! I’ve had my cories years now

Unforgiving Llama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Time for another update. I added another Sterbai cory (brings me up to 7 total), one mystery snail, and I moved in my vampire shrimp Woodhouse from my 10 gallon tank. He really is enjoying the extra space and is much more active. I also added 10 red cherry shrimp. My goal is to get the RCS breeding in the next month or so and once I have a colony going I will add a yet-to-be-decided mid/top level fish.

So far I am very pleased with the tank. The jungle vals are doing exactly what I wanted them to; create a vast underwater forest like the kelp forests in the Pacific Northwest. The dwarf hairgrass is staying sporadic and patchy, which is what I want, because I like to have a decent amount of sand for the corydoras to dig around in.

This is my first experience with corydoras, and they are just awesome little fish; so adorable, easy to keep, and very active. They are still very wary of me, but I am hoping their timidity decreases as time goes on. Eventually I would like to breed them as well.

IMG_20191020_163055.jpg
IMG_20191020_163102.jpg
IMG_20191020_163107.jpg

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks Great!!!

Unforgiving Llama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Here is picture of all 7 corydoras together plus Woodhouse, my bamboo shrimp, and a myriad of ramshorns and pond snails. Woodhouse recently molted and is now a beautiful caramel color (he was a pale blue).
Untitled (1).jpg

Unforgiving Llama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am finally getting around to an update, and I am happy to say things are going great!

About 2 months ago, I added a group of 6 guppies (2 male, 4 female). Since then I have had at least two different "litters" of baby guppies. I did not take them out, I just left them in with the adults. Approximately 90% of them survived and now are reaching sexual maturity. Overall, I a have about 15 guppies now of various ages.

I have also been successful in getting my cherry shrimp to breed, and I went from 9 to about 30 in the span of about 3 months.

In addition to that, Woodhouse (vampire shrimp), all 7 corydoras, and my two mystery snails and 1 nerite are all still alive.

So if everything continue like this I will have lots of guppies and shrimp to give away! Overall I am very pleased with this tank and can't wait to see what happens next.

IMG_20200202_143041.jpg
IMG_20200202_143049.jpg
IMG_20200202_143116.jpg
IMG_20200202_143130.jpg
IMG_20200202_143159.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom