Unfiltered Pond??

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So I have a question....Is it possible to run a container pond without filtration? I assume that frequent water changes would be needed to prevent stagnation.

The reason that I'm asking is that my son would like to have a minnow pond....but we don't currently have an outdoor power source. When I ran a back yard pool, I used to run an extension cord from the bathroom window to the pool to run the filter. That was all well and good to run for a few hours a day, but a pond filter would need to be running permanently so I'm thinking that without outdoor electricity, a filter's a problem.

The container that we have is a 2wide X 4long X 2deep plastic tub. Like a bathtub, minus the drainage holes. they use them for bulk storage of wood chips at my brother's work.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sometimes a solar powered pump can make all the difference, as well as having it heavily planted. It can be done!

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Look into "still" ponds. It's exactly that. One with no mechanical filtration, everything is done through plant power: hornwort and anacharis are the underwater workhorses. Floaters help keep the water comfortable and help pull waste products from the water.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom