unfair!

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ive been trying for ages to breed bettas, with no luck, ive researched and researched, i had perfect water conditions and waited until the female was ready to spawn, i introduced her in a glass bowl to the males tank, he showed no interest in her whatsoever, he swam around lazily and ignored her. My Father in Law just put a male and female in the same tank and immediately he started building a bubble nest even though the female wasnt ready to spawn. is there something im doing wrong? he hadnt even cycled his tank and now theyve got loads of bottles of betta fry...

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
**** I got a male and female not realizing that the male would try and kill the female, put them together he went to town oh her tail, but neither one wanted to spawn man how in the world did he do it i wonder....

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Breeding bettas is no joke. It is a hard and demanding and space consuming job to do it right. I am so sorry to tell you that unless you are getting a breeding pair from a breeder, the chances that the Bettas you buy in your LFS are too old to breed. I have also read articles stating that the Bettas found in the LFS are not worth breeding as they will never be "fine specimens" (show Bettas). Well, not all of us can afford a breeding pair and I would say that your family members are very lucky to have had a bunch of fry.

Bettas are also prone to do damage on each other post-spawn (mostly the males injuring the females, but the books have stated they do sometimes attack each other.)

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
after reading some of the other posts from pleople that have bought their Bettas from pet stores i'm kinda thinking that is the case neither one of them showed any interest in reproducing so i'm done with that little nightmare. If i ever decide i want I think i will see about finding a breeder and get them directly from a breeder. and if i have any problems i'm sure they will be a h*** of alot more helpful than petco.

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well still no luck so it looks like you guys are right, but ive separated them and they are each living peacefully in their own tank with their friends. Thanks for all the usefull comments and advice! It really helps!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom