Status
Not open for further replies.

Scanlon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey all,

hope someone can help on Friday morning I came downstairs to find one of my guppies laying on the gravel against the glass at the front of the tank. He moved after a while but only to rest on the bottom again, I also noticed a Nick out of his tail. When he moved the other guppies came over and stated to pick on him. I should mention that he seems smaller than the others. He made it over to the plants and found some cover. As the day progressed he was more active but seemed to labour whilst swimming and ate at feeding time. I was out most of the day Saturday and when I returned home I couldn't find him and he didn't come and feed. I done my weekly water change and when I changed part of the filter media I found him on top of it, I can't ake out how he git in there. My levels were all good before the water change 0 A 0 NI 1 NA, all the others are fine and have really coloured up since purchase.

Should I be worried? (I am worried)
What should I do?

Many thanks
Paul

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm sorry you lost your fish.

Just checking, but are you testing with liquid tests?

It sounds like it could have been bullying that did him in, if your water parameters look fine and your other fish appear healthy. Are your guppies all male?

If I were you, I would probably just watch out for more bullying now, just more careful visual inspection for nips or fin tearing, scared behavior, headcounts, etc. and just be prepared to separate victims from bullies. If it's only your guppies picking on each other, perhaps some females in the mix would help them chill out. If it's your neons (for instance), adding more of them would also probably reduce aggression. More places to hide might also not be a bad idea, but honestly this sounds like a pretty huge tank to me already (assuming this is your 50g?) and it would seem to me that a bullied guppy should have adequate room to escape.

And as always, extra water changes make everyone feel better. If any are looking ragged, whether you separate them or not, you could add a stress coat product to the tank, treat the tank or their food with Vita Chem, or soak their food in garlic juice to boost their natural immune system.

OP
S

Scanlon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Caroline,

I was kind if hoping that it was bullying, not nice but better than infection, it does seem just to be the guppies and it was only the little guy that was harrased I'll keep an eye out and make sure they don't find another victim.

Maybe a serious talking too and sending them to a time out area of the tank might work?, it does with my daughter!

I do use the API liquid test kit.

I'm only feeding flakes at the moment, can I use garlic juice with them? I haven't seen it at the LFS where would I get it?

Thanks
Paul

Last edited:

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well the bullying leads to opportunistic infection, as the stress weakens the immune system. Whatever infection your little guppy got is latent in every tank though, so it's not like you really could remove the risk entirely. When they're stressed, they get sick. Much like me during finals season...

Here's a link about the garlic. You don't find it at the LFS, you find it at the grocery store. https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/minced-garlic-in-a-jar-just-an-example-for-those-needing-it.62705/

Or you could make your own, if you're the industrious type.

I think you could soak flakes, and I know some people just put a few drops in the water directly. (Sounds kind of odd to me, like you're preparing to cook the little guys! Next add salt and pepper! But hey, I guess it works, especially if they aren't feeding for some reason.) I feed my fish only pellets and wormy things, so those are much easier to soak. Maybe you could find some appropriately sized pellets as well, since I think flakes in general are just about the worst type of food available (worst ingredients, less nutrition, etc.).

Hope that helps a bit.

OP
S

Scanlon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks midthought,

Your right It does sound like part of a recipie, I wonder if they add garlic to the lobster tanks in resturaunts?

I'll try and get some juice garlic today, I wanted to start useing flakes in the begining until I was fully stocked and then start giving the good stuff. Didn't want them only eating bloodworm, I'm not rockafella.

Many thanks
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.0%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 20.2%

Top Bottom