Unexpected, unknown cause of death, treatment suggestions.

monster101

One of my black neon tetras died unexpectedly either in the night or early this morning.
Was a school of 6, I also have 3 Dalmatian mollies and 2 ottos in a 20 gal tank that has been cycled, everyone was getting along great. I tested the water and temperature, everything came back normal. -ph 7.0, -Nitrite 0ppm, -Nitrate 20ppm, -temp 78
I got the tetras from what I thought was a reputable store, not so sure anymore, so I didn't quarantine them before introducing them to the tank (NEVER AGAIN).
Since they've all been together for about 4 days now and since I don't know the cause of death, I'm thinking about treating the entire tank with medication, any suggestions on what to use, or is this overkill? All of my research has pointed to pimafix and Melafix, however I plan on introducing my betta to the community (as soon as they are treated) and I've heard that they could be harmful to bettas, water changes of course, but I don't want any risk of issues later on.

BigManAquatics

Water changes is what i suggest for now until you actually have a solid symptom or two to treat. The tetra i am sure was sick from the store, especially if you only had for a few days. Probably was sick when it got to the store. Or severely stressed, shipping is difficult like that. But medicines aren't to be used as lightly as so many seem to think, either. Most can kill fish quicker than a lot of the diseases can.

So best course of action is keep the water clean and observe.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Pinguinita
Replies
Views
Kweve47
Replies
Views
Kathylee
Replies