Unexpected Platy fry!

Jjessiep25

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've got a platy in November to keep my guppy company after his tank mate died.

This morning I was cleaning the outside of the tank and noticed platy fry!

I was under the impression that the platy I bought was male - upon further research (and obvious evidence ) this isn't the case.

I'm guessing the fry aren't the result of my guppy and platy crossing - I hear female platys can store sperm for months.

I'm completely unequipped for fry - I have only a small 5 gallon tank (I live in a small apartment). I've fashioned a fry trap of sorts from an old plastic bottle and was able to manouver 4 of the fry into it. There are at least 4 others swimming around but I was unable to catch them!

Any tips or tricks on dealing with (suprise) fry would be greatly appreciated.

Virta

Reaction score
Well if you want to get rid of them you can always try trading them in at your local fish store. Sometimes they’ll give you in store credit that you can use to buy more supplies. Although I don’t know how well they’ll take care of it and might just sell them as feeder fry.
If you want to keep them I don’t think fry have a huge bio load so you could probably keep them in a spare container until they get bigger than your fish’s mouths and then they would be compatible together in the same tank.

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For the time being you can just leave those fry in there... Give them some shelter. Platy fry will grow up pretty fast.
Hard to tell whether there will be more fry or not. For it will be unclear if the female is still storing sperm packets.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I believe platy and guppies can cross breed if my memory serves me right... if you only have a small tank I would leave the fry in the tank and let nature run it’s course

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
I believe platy and guppies can cross breed if my memory serves me right... if you only have a small tank I would leave the fry in the tank and let nature run it’s course
Platies and guppies won´t crossbreed. Besides they´re from a different genus, also the genitals ain´t compatible with another. Platies can crossbreed with swordtails though and guppies can crossbreed with mollies.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
emeraldking said:
Platies and guppies won´t crossbreed. Besides they´re from a different genus, also the genitals ain´t compatible with another. Platies can crossbreed with swordtails though and guppies can crossbreed with mollies.
I stand corrected thanks for the clarification I knew it was one or the other of the live bearers that cross bred

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
emeraldking said:
Oof, that is what I said.

Platies and guppies cannot proceed to crossbreed together as they are different families, and they have different structures of gonopodiums and analfins.

Here is a list of fish that can crossbreed:
~ Platies and Swordtails
~ Mollies and Guppies

Shrimp:
~ Cherry shrimp with other Caridina shrimp

New Threads