Unexpected Molly Fry! .....

1. JacCash Initiate Member

Hi, everyone! I'm new to Fish Forums, and I really need your guys help!! I have a 10 gallon tank, 3 white cloud minnows, a clown pleco, and a Dalmatian Molly. My tank is 6 weeks old and I got my last fish about 5 days ago after getting my water tested at the fish store ( my pleco was my last). On Friday I came home to a little baby fry in the corner of my tank, and the when I dug around more, I found 5 more. I went to the pet store with a sample of my water and to get a net for the fry. My nitrate was through the roof!! I got home, added the chemical I was given, and found my Molly had already passed ( horrified). I have since got a 20 gallon tank ( a friend is taking a couple of the Molly's for his tank when they grow, if they make it ), and my cycle all tested clear tonight ( I bought my own kit).

My concerns are I am currently giving the fry dust flakes, is this correct? Anything else I should be giving them?

And should I be adding chemicals to my water more regularly? More frequent water changes because of the fry? I do one 20% per week now.

And should I start a fishless water cycle in the 20 gallon tank, or wait and use water from the 10 gallon?

I'm all new to this....I figured joining this community is a step in the right direction, and I don't want to loose any more fish.

Thank you!!!

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Feed infurosia and baby brine shrimp until they are old enough to eat flakes(about a month or less).

3. leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Test your nitrates again, 20% probably is not enough of a water change. Births cause nitrates to rise. No reason to use chemicals for nitrates unless your water source starts out with them.
    As for the 20, it depends on how strong the cycle is on the 10. If it is well cycled, fill the 20 completely move the whole filter assembly over and go.
    If not, it'll get a little more complicated.

4. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Do daily 25% water changes for the fry it will help them grow.

5. JacCash Initiate Member

Okay!! Perfect!! Thank you guys!!