Unexpected goldfish fry in the big tank

BigBuckfish

Hello,
I was doing a water change and Al of a sudden to my surprise see a single fry swimming in the big tank, I have it in the fry net attached to the big tank, been trying to feed it egg yolk with water used from the tank to dessolve it.
it does seem to be eating at all I need help on how to get him to ager eating and growing.
I have attached the picture down below.
I believe it’s a goldfish fry from what I can tell but let me know.

Attachments

• A41CA724-DF91-4117-B795-9B2A7C3FF5BE.jpeg
    A41CA724-DF91-4117-B795-9B2A7C3FF5BE.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 4
  • BD8699F7-1E7E-46DE-9EC2-50521010E964.jpeg
    BD8699F7-1E7E-46DE-9EC2-50521010E964.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 491F7185-0862-41C2-9FB1-96ED31958A9D.jpeg
    491F7185-0862-41C2-9FB1-96ED31958A9D.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 3
  • B007DA73-09A5-43F4-A13B-96517116FCF5.jpeg
    B007DA73-09A5-43F4-A13B-96517116FCF5.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 3
  • B13EF634-C734-4866-A765-7162E6548049.jpeg
    B13EF634-C734-4866-A765-7162E6548049.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 4

Redshark1

I had goldfish fry in my water butt after I looked after the school goldfish in the holidays as a favour.

There will have been lots of natural food in my water butt which is full of algae, water fleas, bloodworm and mosquito larvae to name a few.

The environment you have for your single fry looks a little barren and sterile. Have you no suitable environment you can put it in?

Its hard to identify the fish species. What possible parents do you have? Could it have come in with any purchases you have made?

Flyfisha

Hi BigBuckfish

You can raise fry in green water. If you have a water container outside that has gone green in the sunlight that is free food. One fry may not be worth setting up another tank for but a bucket of old waste water that’s been in the sun is something I have used to raise fry. A goldfish does not need a heater. Just be careful it’s not getting to hot in your climate.

To be frank there are probably fry in the tank 356 days a year and now you know to look for them you may find more .

Raising fry like this does not require a sterile tank in fact a tank/ bucket full of old plant material leaf litter and mulm is going to have food available 24/7.

I have only accidentally raised a few goldfish that came home in plants taken from a lake. The plants sat in a canoe and were tossed in outside fire buckets of waste water.

A snapshot of one of the indoor tanks full of fry swimming unfeed in green water .
33A50ED5-AD69-4A76-B448-FD02D1B83F95.png

42D6588F-DDF9-4F8D-9D21-26725333DCA5.png

And one of fire buckets.

57BEC62D-9B73-4A6E-B797-E259CD1194A8.jpeg

That fry will starve in sterile water . To have success with the next batch get a pond bucket set up outside.

BigBuckfish

I had goldfish fry in my water butt after I looked after the school goldfish in the holidays as a favour.

There will have been lots of natural food in my water butt which is full of algae, water fleas, bloodworm and mosquito larvae to name a few.

The environment you have for your single fry looks a little barren and sterile. Have you no suitable environment you can put it in?

Its hard to identify the fish species. What possible parents do you have? Could it have come in with any purchases you have made?
It’s unexpected but I do have a tropical tank but I fear I might be too hot for it, the only fish that are in the big tank are goldfish.
Hi BigBuckfish

You can raise fry in green water. If you have a water container outside that has gone green in the sunlight that is free food. One fry may not be worth setting up another tank for but a bucket of old waste water that’s been in the sun is something I have used to raise fry. A goldfish does not need a heater. Just be careful it’s not getting to hot in your climate.

To be frank there are probably fry in the tank 356 days a year and now you know to look for them you may find more .

Raising fry like this does not require a sterile tank in fact a tank/ bucket full of old plant material leaf litter and mulm is going to have food available 24/7.

I have only accidentally raised a few goldfish that came home in plants taken from a lake. The plants sat in a canoe and were tossed in outside fire buckets of waste water.

A snapshot of one of the indoor tanks full of fry swimming unfeed in green water .
33A50ED5-AD69-4A76-B448-FD02D1B83F95.png

42D6588F-DDF9-4F8D-9D21-26725333DCA5.png

And one of fire buckets.

57BEC62D-9B73-4A6E-B797-E259CD1194A8.jpeg

That fry will starve in sterile water . To have success with the next batch get a pond bucket set up outside.
Thank you for this i you think it’s still possible to create this. I want to try keep it alive and grow it out. Do you are saying when I do water change I can put the waste water in a bucket and leave it out in the sun? I can just put the fry straight in to the water, would it not be harmful? Would I need a filter on it or no?. If nothing is require when would I remove them from the tank?

Redshark1

A single fry will not need a filter. I have kept my White Cloud Mountain Minnows outdoors in a water butt during the summer and they thrived without a filter because the biological activity in the water butt was working well. Better in fact than my aquaria according to my water tests.

Have you no water outside, even for the birds? Do you not conserve water by collecting it and using it to water plants? I have both of these.

I've raised lots of fry indoors but the tanks had abundant micro-fauna in advance of me carrying out spawnings.

Flyfisha

I have raised numerous fry in 5 gallon buckets and 5 gallon glass boxes without filters.

It is a bit of a juggling act when you have no electric filter and no plant filter.
Changing water or adding more water is something I just guess at.

I change a little water often. How often depends on how many fry and if you are adding dry foods.

With dozens of rice fish in 5 gallon buckets I was changing water 3 times a week.
With one fry you should not have to worry?
The point of using green water is to get tiny tiny fry up to a size that they can eat live baby brine without trying to feed dry foods or eggs . This can take 4 or 5 weeks. At which time they are moved to a filter tank and can be fed baby brine a lot more often.

I know putting fry in old waste tank water seems wrong. I know everything we think we learn in the beginning of keeping fish is about changing water often. It’s a temporary thing just to get tiny fry up to a size they can eat man made foods.

A tip for feeding dry foods to tiny tiny fry.

Crush dry foods to dust.
Add a pinch of food to an API test tube or similar with tank water.

Shake vigorously and allow to settle for a couple of minutes. Use a syringe to squirt only the brown water from the top half at fry without an solids that have settled to the bottom of the test tube.

In a sterile tank you may have to feed 5 or more times per day?

A goldfish will at least eat from the floor and eat things that don’t wriggle.

BigBuckfish

A single fry will not need a filter. I have kept my White Cloud Mountain Minnows outdoors in a water butt during the summer and they thrived without a filter because the biological activity in the water butt was working well. Better in fact than my aquaria according to my water tests.

Have you no water outside, even for the birds? Do you not conserve water by collecting it and using it to water plants? I have both of these.

I've raised lots of fry indoors but the tanks had abundant micro-fauna in advance of me carrying out spawnings.
I’ll try this water butt method and transfer the fry as soon as a I can.
I have raised numerous fry in 5 gallon buckets and 5 gallon glass boxes without filters.

It is a bit of a juggling act when you have no electric filter and no plant filter.
Changing water or adding more water is something I just guess at.

I change a little water often. How often depends on how many fry and if you are adding dry foods.

With dozens of rice fish in 5 gallon buckets I was changing water 3 times a week.
With one fry you should not have to worry?
The point of using green water is to get tiny tiny fry up to a size that they can eat live baby brine without trying to feed dry foods or eggs . This can take 4 or 5 weeks. At which time they are moved to a filter tank and can be fed baby brine a lot more often.

I know putting fry in old waste tank water seems wrong. I know everything we think we learn in the beginning of keeping fish is about changing water often. It’s a temporary thing just to get tiny fry up to a size they can eat man made foods.

A tip for feeding dry foods to tiny tiny fry.

Crush dry foods to dust.
Add a pinch of food to an API test tube or similar with tank water.

Shake vigorously and allow to settle for a couple of minutes. Use a syringe to squirt only the brown water from the top half at fry without an solids that have settled to the bottom of the test tube.

In a sterile tank you may have to feed 5 or more times per day?

A goldfish will at least eat from the floor and eat things that don’t wriggle.
Hello,
Very helpful I get started right away and hope for the best. Did not know most of this will try this when I get the full batch.

Thank you again.

Hello,
I do have some wate squat water I use to water plants I’ll use that and leave it outside. Just one thing it’s quite hot here would that be of any problem to the fry.

Redshark1

Yes it was cool here about 10C - 14C. I don't keep Goldfish hot.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
aussieJJDude
Replies
Views
BlueMint
40 Gallon Tank Goldfish spawning
  • Jennalovesanimals
  • Goldfish
Replies
Views