Unexpected fry????? Teeny tiny ones in an OLD tank!

1. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I have been procrasinating tearing my 36 gallon down. Its been sitting in my room, unheated and half empty for 2 weeks now.

Today, as I was cleaning it, I noticed about a dozen fry!!! Not even sure who or what they are but I suspect my Zebra danios had babies and these somehow survived! HOLY COW! :;juggle

Now I am going to set up the 5 gallon QT tank and hope for the best.......

What do you all think?

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Nice surprise, danios can take lower temperatures so probably didn't mind not having a heater for a couple of weeks, they'll be better with one though now that you've found them.
    Hope they do well for you :)

3. Tonia Well Known Member Member

Congrats on the surprise babies!!

I'm sure they will appreciate the tender loving care that they will get from you now that you know they are alive!

4. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

OMG! What do I feed them? They are so tiny! I probably would have not noticed them had I not looked in the tank closer when I saw the water moving!

There's only about 4 inches of water in the tank now - somehow I got to catch them and put them in the QT tank I just set up! Holy smokes!
    I hope they survive! I have about 4 Zebras in my main tank who look pregnant. I suspect they have been having babies and they just got eaten and or didn't make it....

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Crush up the flakes or pellets you feed the adults very finely for them.
    They've survived this far so they're resilient little fish :)

6. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you!!! I'm so excited!!! My tank is notorious for having baby snails and now fry!!!!

7. 5thgradeguppyraiser Well Known Member Member

I know what it's like to be surprised like that. I found a baby guppy in some water change water once. I freaked out.

8. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

That must have been a surprise!

I never expected Zebra danios to survive but I guess they had the right conditions ( no other fish in the tank )

Well they can't be more than a week old - all the rest of my fish were moved 2 weeks today.

9. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I can't catch all of the fry in my tank so I guess I will leave the water in there for another week or so - hopefully grow them out a bit so I can put them in the 5 gallon.

Anyone know the success rate of raising these from fry? I guess they'd have to be pretty hardy if they survived no heat/filter for 2 weeks.

10. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

OMG! I'm still trying to catch these teeny tiny fry the size of fleas!!!!! :mad:

I've only managed to get maybe 10 or so - Today I've counted maybe 7 in my QT tank so thats good that most are still alive after 4 days in the tank.
    The 36 gallon still has about 10 fry left but I can't catch them!!! I'm using a clear plastic cup.... Any suggestions?
    They are so dang FAST and almost invisible!

11. mg13 Well Known Member Member

maybe try a net?

congrats on your surprise...lol

12. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks - I think even a net will be harder. I can barely see these "fleas" lol

13. mg13 Well Known Member Member

lol

maybe you should wait a bit until they are bigger than fleas...

lol

yuck, i can't stand fleas.

14. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I know.. My 36 gallon hasn't been heated or filtered for over 2 weeks now!

I was getting ready to tear it down last Sunday when I discovered these things..... I really don't want to fill up the water making it more hard t catch these things..... No one else in the house can see them but me!!! :;ufo

15. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

So long as you're sure they're not actually mosquitoes :0

16. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

LOL - I'm pretty sure they are fry - just really really tiny! I've never seen fish sooooo small. Like a little hair with a body and they flit around SO fast in the water!

Geez, you have me thinking now.... sure hope they are Zebra danios and not mosquitoes I am raising! :;smack

17. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I do hope that they are Danios, too! When we were little, a friend of mine thought that she had caught tadpoles and then suddenly realized her family had a house full of mosquitoes :p

18. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

OMG! Seriously??????? Well I sure hope so too! But what would mosquito's be doing in an indoor tank and we have no problems with Mosquitoes in our area. You're scaring me!!! LOL

I'm keeping one :;eye open

19. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Wow! What a surprise!

Never had danios but maybe some liquid fry food?
    They've obviously gotten nutrients from the water or whatever organisms are floating around.

A few years ago we were heading out on vacation.
    There was a plant dying in one of my tanks
    I threw it in a 20 gallon I had running with no fish so it wouldn't decay in my other tank and foul the water.

A couple of weeks after we got home I noticed something swimming around the 20g.
    It was a baby cory cat!

There must have been an egg stuck on the dying plant. :)

Sometimes nature takes care of it's own.

20. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

That's amazing lucy! I would love cory fry. I do have 2 of them but I think they are the same sex?????

I'm pretty certain its the danios because 3 of them are fat and female, the other 3 are skinny yellowish males.

I am trying my best to try and catch the rest and can't even think about emptying my tank until they are caught,. I sure hope they survive.

I've been giving them crushed flakes and so far it may be they are eating it.

So this is what my living room looks like with a nearly empty tank and a kennel for my new kitten we are training....
    Was hoping to at least clear the 36 gallon out....
    Wow talk about clutter!.

DSC_0877 - Copy.jpg