Unexpected Fry And Leaving For Vacation

1. tracyree

tracyree New Member Member

so my german rams apparently had some fry hatch. there's a huge cloud of fry with them today. i have a microworm colony all ready, but am leaving tomorrow and not back until wednesday.

i hate the idea of the babies starving!!! should i just put tons of microworms in the tank and hope they are ok?

2. luckdown

luckdown Well Known Member Member

I'm pretty sure microworms can't live in water for that long. From my understanding all that'll do is cause an ammonia spike once they die off.

Maybe you could try to look up diy automatic feeders and do that? I'm not sure this is something that you can diy and would work for this but I know there's some for other types of food.

Sorry not very helpful D:

3. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Ya, the worms won't last that many days in the tank. Maybe a day or two. And if the babies aren't eating, they will start dying off and the parents will just eat them all.

What size tank are they in? How long has it been running? what other fish are with them besides their parents? How about the filtration? Do you have another tank to grow out babies if you are successful?

Sorry so many questions. lol

4. OP
    OP
    tracyree

20 gallon and no other fish but parents. tank has been up for years. it's an all in one with huge sponges and a big bag of ceramic media. i have other tanks in storage.

just dont know how to feed the fry while away

5. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Feeding them is not going to help if they are at risk of being sucked into the filter or eaten by other fish. This is why I asked those questions. And I asked about other tanks for growing out the fry to sellable size.

There is no way for you to feed newborn fry if you aren't present. You can try lots of mosses and stuff to try and provide some microorganisms. But if you are leaving for a week at this crucial stage...then you won't be able to raise this batch.

There will be other opportunities.

6. OP
    OP
    tracyree

Thanks. I guess all I can do for these little ones is put microworms in before we leave and hope a few live long enough to get a few through. I feel awful starving something in my care, even if they are fry.... I imagine throwing them in a gallon jar and bringing them would be worse. Darn, there is no good solution.

7. Nicole B

Nicole B Valued Member Member

Maybe have a friend or relative come feed them? We are going on vacation too and have a bunch of fry and they’d most likely starve if I didn’t have my brother. Lol