Unexpected death... Anything I should be concerned about?

Katie Dawn

Found one of my panda corydoras laying nearly upside on the sand with a red spot on it's stomach. It does look like the skin ruptured at that spot.

I euthanized him with clove oil. Here's what he looked like afterward.
PXL_20220818_145400379.jpg
PXL_20220818_145354216.jpg

The tank has been doing well and I'm not overly concerned about this event as I know that losing fish occasionally is (sadly) just part of the hobby. But I wanted to check with the group and see if this is something I SHOULD be concerned about since I know red spots can sometimes indicate big issues. I see there's some damage to his back fin but I'm not seeing fin damage on the other cories.

I don't think there's anything in my tank he could have gotten stuck in or injured on but I'll post a tank pic at the bottom. I know I have more sponge filters than I need at the moment but I'm deciding between the two.

Here's Emergency Template Info if it's helpful:
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 20 gallons
How long has the tank been running? More than a year
Does it have a filter? Yes, sponge
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 76
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Approximately 20 panda corydoras, 5 nerites

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Every week
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate, hover over the sand

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? Freshwater Master Test Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
pH: 7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once daily
How much do you feed your fish? Maybe 1/2 to 3/4 a teaspoon? Not sure how to quantify it.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? A variety: Big Bites, Tetra ShrimpWafers, Hikari Carnivore Pellets, Xtreme Scrapers or Community PeeWee, Hikari Sinking Wafers, Vibrabites. (I also throw Hikari Crab Cuisine and Nano Banquet Food Blocks in occasionally for the snails.)
Do you feed frozen? Yes, baby brine and daphnia
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? I bought 7 a year ago and they've increased their numbers to 20. So not sure but no more than a year old.
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Just noticed the fish in distress.
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? n/a
Have you started any treatment for the illness? n/a
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? n/a
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? n/a

PXL_20220818_150011533.jpg

A201

Unexplained, mystery fish deaths are in fact just part of the hobby. The goal is to make such events rare.
The water parameters look great & no other fish appear to be sick.
The red spot on the Cory Cat's under belly is most likely blood pooling rather than Septicemia.
IMO, probably no other worries.

Katie Dawn

Unexplained, mystery fish deaths are in fact just part of the hobby. The goal is to make such events rare.
The water parameters look great & no other fish appear to be sick.
The red spot on the Cory Cat's under belly is most likely blood pooling rather than Septicemia.
IMO, probably no other worries.
Thank you!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MyFishAddiction
Replies
Views
Cred
Replies
Views
ADFemergency