Unexpected cory eggs, what to do with them?

ahouseofscales

Hi! I have a group of 5 (normally 6, one passed) three-lined corys in my tank. They are all full grown but I honestly wasn't expecting them to breed since they are in my fry tank and there's always lots of activity. I didn't think it would be a suitable breeding tank for them but apparently I was wrong, since there are now plenty of healthy eggs attached to my amazon swords. I'd like to try raising them, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it. I have limited space so I'd like to keep them in my fry tank if at all possible. They are in a 20 gal high with the 5 adults, around 25 swordtail fry (they are in the juvenile stage, around an inch long), 3 bamboo shrimp, 2 assassin snails, and 2 nerites. Decor is live plants, driftwood, and lava rock. Filtered with a sponge filter and heated to 78F. I do have a small aerated fry box that I could contain them in in the main tank, but I'd rather keep them where they are since I'm afraid I'd damage the eggs and plants trying to move them. Tips?

richiep

Fishlore VIP
You need to transfer them into something without exposing them the air if possible leave them where they are and youll loose them

richiep

Fishlore VIP
You can pug them in there but they will swim out of the slots so I believe some put the hatcher in a stocking to stop the escape

OP
ahouseofscales

ahouseofscales

richiep said:
You can pug them in there but they will swim out of the slots so I believe some put the hatcher in a stocking to stop the escape
Okay. How do I move them, and how long will they take to hatch?

feeshi

ahouseofscales said:
Okay. How do I move them, and how long will they take to hatch?
Turn off the filter/flow/airstones and take the whole leaf (safest bet), I've also seen people use a credit card to gently remove them. Personally I find they role off credit cards, so if you cant remove leaf you can gently roll your fingers over them and very lightly hold them between your forefinger and thumb.
They are slightly tacky so will stay between your fingers and arent fragile enough to be damaged unless you squeeze them.
I haven't bred three lined corys, but for Venezuelan/aenus corys its around 4 days but this is at 26c. They also wont all hatch at the same time, and you will get some stragglers.
Eggs that are bad will go 'fluffy'. Fungus is notorious on cory eggs.
Place hatching box near the output flow, or placing air stone in hatching box (make hole in stockings for it) helps reduce fungus.

OP
ahouseofscales

ahouseofscales

feeshi said:
Turn off the filter/flow/airstones and take the whole leaf (safest bet), I've also seen people use a credit card to gently remove them. Personally I find they role off credit cards, so if you cant remove leaf you can gently roll your fingers over them and very lightly hold them between your forefinger and thumb.
They are slightly tacky so will stay between your fingers and arent fragile enough to be damaged unless you squeeze them.
I haven't bred three lined corys, but for Venezuelan/aenus corys its around 4 days but this is at 26c. They also wont all hatch at the same time, and you will get some stragglers.
Eggs that are bad will go 'fluffy'. Fungus is notorious on cory eggs.
Place hatching box near the output flow, or placing air stone in hatching box (make hole in stockings for it) helps reduce fungus.
The eggs actually disappeared a few days ago. I'm assuming they hatched and they're now hiding. There's plenty of hiding spots and there's always food floating around, so I'm hoping they'll do okay.

New Threads