Unexpected Blue Ram Fry!

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by 12Cin12, Jul 17, 2019.

1. 12Cin12

12Cin12Valued MemberMember

92CA2749-F11A-466B-B4E0-1DCB62BA8580.jpeg85222310-FF39-4A3F-BACE-CD6EC0D368A7.jpeg
    Hi everyone!
    Today my BR fry are free-swimming. They seem to be responding to the Hikari First Bites.
    My question is: mom and dad have gotten a little snippy with each other. Is this normal? Unfortunately the tank has a mirrored back - so I think that is also contributing to the aggression.
    Also, Will they now eat the fry now that they are wiggling around?
    Thanks!

2. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

I think it is normal for them to be a little more aggressive after spawning, sometimes you just need to separate them for a couple weeks. If this is their first spawn there's a good chance they haven't figured everything out yet and will eat the wrigglers, if you want to keep most of them you should put them in their own tank.

3. OP
    OP
    12Cin12

Ok, thanks. This is their first spawn (guess I don't have two females - ha!) I have been known to ahem....kill my fish pets with kindness. So I think I will watch them, let them do their thing, and learn what happens when I do nothing to intervene - unless they appear to be getting deadly with each other, of course.
    Ps. Not sure why the title says Blue Ram because they are obviously Bolivian rams! I wrote BR and I guess it got autocorrected....:borg:

4. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Sounds like a good plan, I'll tag @Feohw in case you need help with anything more specific.

5. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Think you mean Bolivian Ram ?

6. Feohw

FeohwWell Known MemberMember

When left to their own devices the fry tend to die off eventually in a community tank - especially with first time parents. My rams breed constantly, its very rare for my male to be without fry. The fry only really survive for more than two weeks when I actively try to raise them - though I always do feed them. In a tank on their own they would be much easier to raise as the bolivians tend to be really good parents. Just be prepared for maaaany more batches of fry to follow this one.

As for aggression, mine tend to be fairly chill with each other. They will have the occasional squabble but its not much. They will shoo away anything else that comes near. They tend to move in sync, one will go out and patrol or scavenge for food while the other stays with the fry. Then simultaneously they will swap over. Initially there may have been a bit of tussling, especially while they were courting, but it wasn't much. They will begin to work together better over time.

7. OP
    OP
    12Cin12

Of course! Autocorrect change BR to blue ram - so strange :)

8. OP
    OP
    12Cin12

Oh this is sad and good news. Sad that my littles probably won't make it - but good that I can try again later when I'm better set up for them.
    I am restricted on getting any more tanks - which probably limits my options. One idea: I could just get rid of the black neon tetras in this tank - and that would leave the rams!

9. Feohw

FeohwWell Known MemberMember

As the rams gain more experience they will do a better job. Initially they may begin to eat them themselves. If you want to raise the fry then you could get rid of the neons, but if you don't particularly want to then you can just leave them to let nature take its course. As I said mine can keep their fry alive for up to two weeks with fish in there - initially it was much less. I have only raised them up myself a few times as I'm not too interested in breeding - though it was fun when I did. If you wanted you could also move the fry to a breeding net. I did that once or twice before I started moving them to their own tank.

10. OP
    OP
    12Cin12

Oh that is a good idea! As you predicted there are less fry today. I’ll let you know how the breeding net goes