Unexpected betta spawning

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hummm well my Betta have not read the Betta breeding section! I think they need a fishy laptop and they need to read up on them selves!

I have a male and female Betta in a community tank they were never intended to be together or in a community tank it's just how it's worked out, I know there breeder and they have always been very much a 2 some I seperated them and they sulked terribly so have ended up back together. Well we how have breeding going on! bubble nest, wierd wiggly embrace eggs an all! One thing thats amusing more than anything we appear to have 2 bubble nests his and hers and he has eggs and is protecting them she has eggs and is also protecting them!!!
I think my Betta's are a little confussed, all this from a male betta that sleeps on a leaf with a lonesome male guppy at night with female Betta at the other side lol

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
um, oh wow.
Talk about stereotype shattering.
If you want to keep the fry, i'd remove the other fish until they are big enough to net.

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow!!!! That's pretty weird, never heard of that before. I'd do like Shiba says, and remove the other fish. I guess you're in for some babies! Good Luck!

uprightandlocked

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Not to be mean, I love bettas just as much as all of you do ... but if you're not prepared for the expense of raising these bettas or the time commitment, you might be better off leaving the tank as is.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, if you cannot invest the money and time into breeding bettas, then i would definetly just let the community fish make a meal out of them, as bad as that sounds.

uprightandlocked

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Okay...I also wanted to add to that I meant by leaving the eggs/any fry in the community tank. As for the bettas, I think you need to remove them and place them in their own seperate tanks with each of those tanks being heated and filtered.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I know all about how much of a stress/cost/time/space is needed for rearing betta babies I have read all the guides and I was not intending on doing so. Colin and Crystal when they were seperated and in a tanks of their own would not eat and lay on the bottom of the tank for days on end. They were initially put into community tanks on there own which worked for a while but crystal then got bullied and as a no where to put her option, she ended up back with Colin and has been there now for several weeks.

I was considering removing all the other fish and leaving just them 2 but as I am in no way intending breeding them no way prepaired for babies (I have quite enough with my baby endlers) I decided to leave the other fish and let nature take it's course. I knew I was in for a breeding battering by posting about it on here but hope I may get some advise.
Today all is still calm in the tank and both parents are very attentive to there separate nests, Colin has moved his tank about slightly and is insistant on trying to steal her eggs when she is not looking. I was also shocked to see that Crystal is in really good condition with no fin damage or marks on her anywhere. Also I am quite shocked that both of them are still eating, yes I am havin to feed them at there nests but they are eating.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have some video's on my phone of the actual mating thingy they did not brill quality but very cool, I will go try and uplaod them

I will try again on the photo's as the flash messes up the pics but without it it's all blurry

Last edited:

uprightandlocked

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi Allibobs:

I wasn't meaning to bash you, I apologize if I came across that way. I just don't think it is a good idea to keep them together long-term. I know you said they were mopey after being put in their own tanks, what size were they in? If this was my tank situation, they'd just have to get used to it. I come from a Sicilian upbringing

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi,

they both had their own 3.4 gal tanks ( I found a source of 3.4gal tanks with everything at a fab price so bought a few) but they just sort of lay looking dead at the bottom not eating. I spoke to their breeder whom sais they would be fine and for the best back together

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd say you've got a unique pair there

One question for you (since you know the breeder), is it possible that they're hybrids rather then true betta splendens? I know that some breeders do out cross to betta imbalis or betta malachai lines for various reasons. If so this could explain their apparent success both togeather and in a community tank as both those lines are wild types which haven't been bred for the increased aggression we see in the speldens (and are less aggressive to begin with....).

Sorry for the question but what you have working is far enough from the normal that I'm curious...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom