Unexpected baby gourami. What should I do?

Kuebeecee

I have had two Honey Gouramis for about a year now. I originally had them in a 10 gallon setup and moved them to a 55 gallon in February 2022.

They live with a small school of rasboras, tetras, corys and otos in a heavily planted tank. A couple weeks ago I noticed the gourami acting strange. Turns out, they were going through the courting phase of mating. I actually thought they were both male.

Anyway! I am curious if I should even attempt to get fry food and what not. This obviously is not a breeding tank and with the rasboras and tetras, I would assume the fry don’t stand a chance. The male gourami never built a bubble nest and decided to put the eggs in the most turbulent part of the tank. I turned the air stone down to a lower setting and added a bunch of water lettuce around the eggs to help ease the stress of the male as he guards his nest.

I have zero experience with breeding and caring for fry. But I also kind of want to see at least one baby gourami make it through…just because.

Any advice or thoughts on this?

A201

A few of the baby Gouramis might survive if the plants provide enough cover & concealment.
I've had African Cichlid fry survive & grow to adulthood just hiding in rockpiles.

Kuebeecee

A few of the baby Gouramis might survive if the plants provide enough cover & concealment.
I've had African Cichlid fry survive & grow to adulthood just hiding in rockpiles.
Should I buy anything special for them? I have food that I can make into teeny tiny pieces but I wasn’t sure if I needed something special.

A201

If you can catch the fry, a hang on the rim, breederbasket works well.
Grinding up flake food into tiny bits usually suffices as food.

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, do you have photos?
It's not impossible but very unlikely any would survive as Honey Gourami fry are very very small and take a long time to grow big enough that Tetra and Rasboras wouldn't see them as potential food.

Honey's typically are quite secretive in building nests and wouldn't likely breed without one present.
The male gourami never built a bubble nest and decided to put the eggs in the most turbulent part of the tank.
This sounds strange, are you sure that the eggs(I assume you can see eggs) are in fact Gourami eggs?
I turned the air stone down to a lower setting and added a bunch of water lettuce around the eggs to help ease the stress of the male as he guards his nest.
This also confuses me, does he have a nest? :confused:

The fry should be able to survive for a while on food naturally in the aquarium if it is a planted setup(Infusoria etc...). Later you can try Baby brine shrimp or prepared fry foods just keep in mind Honey's are very slow growers with very small mouths.
If you can catch the fry, a hang on the rim, breederbasket works well.
Grinding up flake food into tiny bits usually suffices as food.
Likely Gourami fry would be too small but might be worth a shot.

Kuebeecee

Hi, do you have photos?
It's not impossible but very unlikely any would survive as Honey Gourami fry are very very small and take a long time to grow big enough that Tetra and Rasboras wouldn't see them as potential food.

Honey's typically are quite secretive in building nests and wouldn't likely breed without one present.

This sounds strange, are you sure that the eggs(I assume you can see eggs) are in fact Gourami eggs?

This also confuses me, does he have a nest? :confused:

The fry should be able to survive for a while on food naturally in the aquarium if it is a planted setup(Infusoria etc...). Later you can try Baby brine shrimp or prepared fry foods just keep in mind Honey's are very slow growers with very small mouths.

Likely Gourami fry would be too small but might be worth a shot.
I am linking a video. You can see he chose the end of the tank that had the air stone so any time he tried to make a bubble nest it wouldn’t stay. He was collecting the eggs and putting them into the corner, so I am referencing that as his “nest” now. I put in some floating plants so he wasn’t so stressed out and to hopefully provide a little cover. He has been hanging out in this corner and chasing away anyone who comes close.

Attachments

• 0A2FA55F-034A-4B03-BE9B-8BE6351192F4.jpeg
    0A2FA55F-034A-4B03-BE9B-8BE6351192F4.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 11

jinjerJOSH22

I am linking a video. You can see he chose the end of the tank that had the air stone so any time he tried to make a bubble nest it wouldn’t stay. He was collecting the eggs and putting them into the corner, so I am referencing that as his “nest” now. I put in some floating plants so he wasn’t so stressed out and to hopefully provide a little cover. He has been hanging out in this corner and chasing away anyone who comes close.

Now I see. I think he chose the wrong corner :rolleyes:.
The cover should help though I don't know how much it will actually work. Ideally you would want far denser planting in a Honey tank so as it stands I wouldn't give the fry much of a chance without intervention. Moving Honey fry can be very tricky as sudden changes can be too much for them.
It's not impossible one would survive but I really wouldn't expect it.

Kuebeecee

The cover should help though I don't know how much it will actually work. Ideally you would want far denser planting in a Honey tank so as it stands I wouldn't give the fry much of a chance without intervention. Moving Honey fry can be very tricky as sudden changes can be too much for them.
I know! When I was watching him dart around for the eggs I was like…why did you choose that spot!!?

Their survival isn’t a huge deal, but I would like to give them somewhat of a fighting chance. We will see what happens. Looks like I might have to skip some feedings for the other guys soon. Maybe the Gouramis will try again and by that time there will be a lot more cover for them.

SparkyJones

ideally if you wanted to breed them and raise the fry, (and if they did this now, they should do it again) you'd set up another tank ( like a 10g, with a sponge filter on an airpump) and move the two of them there away from the rest to lay eggs and hatch fry, then move the parents out and raise the fry for a month or so in there to grow out some before giving them a shot back in the tank with the rest. the other fish and the gourami will want to eat them, they will get out competed for food, they have to contend with the filtration and they are tiny, it's just a low survival rate overall leaving them in the community tank.

you wouldn't want to move the fry, you'd want to move the adults, moving fry is treacherous when they are that young.

Nice that you mentioned having a 10g.... Put tank water from the 55 into the 10g 6-8" max water and a small sponge filter, kind of have to wait on the 10g to cycle again if it doesn't have one already, ifyou are still using it for something else, would be great to just move things around,, so you have the same parameters there as the 55g, and you can top off from the 55 each day instead of messing with water changes except to remove debris/waste. and since it's the same water you can remove the parents back to the 55g pretty quickly and easily without risking them.
they should spawn again shortly.

raising fry is a lot of work but it's a rewarding experience for the work involved. Your fish of course and up to you if you want to take on the responsibility or leave it up to nature.

Kuebeecee

Just an update. They hatched!

Dad is still protecting the area.

Attachments

• 2637CE6E-81B1-4997-B346-9BE60E268A4A.jpeg
    2637CE6E-81B1-4997-B346-9BE60E268A4A.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 6

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
Replies
Views