Unexpected Angelfish Fry Help

1. cindy84 Initiate Member

I woke up this morning to some unexpected additions to my tank. At first I only noticed the eggs in the first picture on my filter and wasn't too concerned as it is my understanding that the coloring means these ones are not viable. After some further examination to check on my other fish since they are being chased off, I noticed these little guys in the second picture. The pics aren't the greatest quality, but some of these guys are visibly wiggling along on the leaf. Now I have one other angel (aside from my bonded pair who are first time parents to my knowledge) in the tank and two dwarf gourami, what is the best way to handle this to keep the remaining fry safe and my other fish from being over bullied (they are all currently in hiding). I'm not sure if I can simply set up a barrier. Everyone is currently in a 30 gallon flat-back hex and I have 2 smaller spare tanks, but they are not set up.

Attached Files:

2. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Hello!

You'll definitely want to remove any white eggs; those are dead and grow a fungus on them, and if they're near the wrigglers, it'll overtake and kill them.

As for your angels, are the parents attempting to take care of them (it sounds like they are)? There might be a chance that with enough pressure, the other fish might stress your angels into eating their fry. The best thing you can do is try to separate them because you don't have a separate tank set up right now. What I would do is set up your spare tank/s (how large are they?) and get a cycle going (either use your cycled media to help jump start it, or do a cycle from scratch) on them in the meantime. You may not be able to save these fry (unless you separate or you have really good parents), but you can be prepared for any future fry as it seems your angels are going to be spawning regularly now.

Or, you can try removing the leaf the wrigglers are on and put them in a breeder box (mesh would be better, or a regular breeder box with mesh/pantyhose pulled around it) to raise. But this can be very stressful for parents and your other fish will constantly pester them because they can see "food", and, if you've got too many fry, you'll have to move them out eventually to make sure they grow. If you also do this method, you'll have to make sure you feed them with baby brine shrimp or very finely crushed flakes (when they are free-swimming w/o and egg sac, about 3-4 days from now is when you can start feeding them) and keep the breeder box very clean.

But, like I mentioned above, separating will be the best option for right now, if you can, but hopefully the other options I mentioned give you a chance as well!

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. cindy84 Initiate Member

They seem to be doing well with keeping the other fish away and tending to the eggs and fry, they are picking at the white eggs and removing here and there. It seems that the white ones are the only thing on the filter tube and only viable fry are on the leaf so perhaps they moved things around already? My spares are only 15 and 10 gallons, not big enough for any of them to stay in permanently. Do you think maybe a makeshift barrier to keep them apart in the tank will be enough until I can get one of the smaller tanks cycled? The location of everything is kind of awkward so I'll have to use mesh and suction cups to angle around everything. I've been looking into a larger tank, it looks like I will be making that purchase sooner than planned and making my 30 a breeder tank.

4. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

You have really awesome parents for their first time :) And they most likely moved them to the leaf, they are pretty smart. Also, dont freak out if you see them moving them with their mouths lol, its how they transport them (I see a lot of people freak out about this...you should only be worried if the fry dont come back out). And you want to be careful with feedings...make sure the fry are out of their mouths when you feed your angels, I've made this mistake before :(

And of course you can do a makeshift barrier! :) they have tons of tutorials online, so you can find that you like.

Although, like you said, you will want that tank sooner if you can. Adult angelfish, especially pair, need at least a 30g (at the minimum) for just themselves; so I can imagine how cramped it must be in that hex with all of your fish.

I do believe that Petco is having a $1 per gallon sale, so feel free to make use of that lol :)

5. cindy84 Initiate Member

It is a little cramped, but everyone was getting along really well until now lol and I was maintaining the water pretty well. Petco and Petsmart are both having sales right now, so it looks like now is the time to make the jump. Thanks for your help, I've done a lot of reading and have had live bearers plenty of times before, but this is my first time with egg-layers, it was a pretty exciting morning for me!

6. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Its always really fun to have babies (i think its the epitome of being a fishkeeper) and its 10x more rewarding when the parents raise them...its the best :)