Uneven water level

1. F

Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

Hello everyone :)

My tank is a custom 110L made from 8mm thick glass with a 20cm center brace of 6mm glass. It is standing on top of a reinforced Ikea Tarva 3-drawer dresser.

[​IMG]

The reinforcements made are

• 2 added feet (you can see the front one in the middle on the picture, and there is the same in the back),
    • a wooden brace in the middle (between the two bottom drawers) to prevent the sides from bending,
    • a pair of wooden beams under the top table to prevent the top from bending,
    • a pair of load bearing wooden beams along the back (top to bottom),
    • and metal angle brackets to prevent skewing.
    The dresser is screwed into my plaster wall to prevent wiggling (but this doesn't bear any load).

[​IMG]

The stand rests on my uneven hardwood floor and I was hoping its weight would even it out. But it's been filled for a couple days now and even though all the legs are touching, there is still a good difference of water level between the left and right sides.

[​IMG]

On the left, the water is at 7cm from the top, on the right it's only 5cm from it.

Aesthetically, I don't mind. But structurally, is this a big deal? Will the tank-stand-floor bend more and more until something cracks? Or will the weight of the tank correct this over time? Or will nothing happen?

If it is a problem, how do I fix it without emptying the tank?

2. Shea Loner

Shea Loner Valued Member Member

I wouldn't count on the floor evening out. It seems to be quite aways off level. Is the floor structure itself sound? As long as the joists and floor boards are sound/running in the right direction you should be ok or a while. It would have been best to level the floor or build a level platform the stand could rest on.

3. Skyy2112

Skyy2112 Valued Member Member

You could put it on a yoga mat, or aquarium mat to help level. However, no its not important minus aesthetics really. If you can lift it, and want to, do it to it.

Sweet tank!

4. MissRuthless

MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

I have the same issue with a couple of my tanks. My 29 started out on a stand that I leveled and now it's slightly uneven and I don't know why. The other one is 55g and I was worried about the weight being uneven and breaking the glass or something so I drained it and put a shim under one side of the table to level it out.

I'd love to hear some of the experts chime in on whether or not this can be dangerous or anything, as I've always worried about it with my tanks.

By the way, your setup is amazing!!!

5. OP
    OP
    F

I don't know, and I'm actually worried about that. Some planks are a little bent and can move. And there is definitely space in between them.

What does that mean?

Thank you Skyy2112 & MissRuthless for your input and for complimenting my setup :)

I don't think I'd like the aesthetics of this too much. For now there is a dense rubber mat under the tank, and felt under each leg of the stand.

6. Shea Loner

If your floor joist, the beams the flooring rests on, run parrallel to the wall your tank is on the weight of the tank could all be on just 1 or 2 joists. It can cause more sagging/warping. If they run perpendicular you should be fine, the weight is distributed more evenly.
    If you decide to level the tank and stand, I personally would put it on a solid plywood base, or 2x4s run lengthwise. No legs to pinpoint the weight, and much more stable.

7. OP
    OP
    F

Thanks, that's much clearer. The floor boards are perpendicular to the wall my aquarium rests by, so I'm assuming the beams must be perpendicular to that — so they probably are parallel to the wall. So, no good?

I did think about resting it atop a plywood base or removing the legs entirely but I didn't like the aesthetics of it and an engineer friend of mine (who is actually building the Parisian subway) said it would be fine with just an extra pair of legs. I just hope the subway doesn't flood :)

8. Shea Loner

Most likely. You added extra legs to the stand? If you could get a few pieces that run full length instead that should work fine.