Question Uneven Shell Growth

HelloJello

Reaction score
HI everyone, back again with yet another dilemma. I've noticed this for a little while now but thought it would be healed or fix itself up. My mystery snails are all growing and thriving yet there seems to be 2-3 of them that are growing a wonky layered/peeling shell. Not sure why it's only happening to these 3 because the rest have a nice even smooth growth. I have bits of eggshell in the aquarium, which are the white dots on the substrate, as well as a wonder shell and a cuttle bone. Anyone have any ideas? Might it be old age? Please help );
20190416_173426.jpg
20190416_173416.jpg
20190416_173403.jpg
20190416_173357.jpg

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How often are you doing water changes and what are your water parameters? Shell problems very frequently occur because of bad water or inadequate nutrients. Mystery snails produce a huge amount of waste and in a tank full of mystery snails AND goldfish (as it appears yours is), you probably need to be doing at least 2-50% water changes a week. Make sure your snails get plenty of calcium, a protein source, and enough algae and plant source foods.

OP
H

HelloJello

Reaction score
Momgoose56 said:
How often are you doing water changes and what are your water parameters? Shell problems very frequently occur because of bad water or inadequate nutrients. Mystery snails produce a huge amount of waste and in a tank full of mystery snails AND goldfish (as it appears yours is), you probably need to be doing at least 2-50% water changes a week. Make sure your snails get plenty of calcium, a protein source, and enough algae and plant source foods.
I do 2 40% water changes every 3 days. My tank is pretty clean, what I find weird is that out of my 13 snails only 3 are growing funny. I have a wonder shell, cuttle bone and eggshells in the tank. Plus I just bought calcium carbonate which I plan to include. I feed them bloodworms, brine shrimp, zucchini, algae wafers and a calcium/veggie pellet mix I ordered off of S&C aquatics. This one also has a wonky antenna. I really don't know what else it could be

OP
H

HelloJello

Reaction score
Skavatar said:
what's the GH/KH of your tank?
I haven't been able to test for that, I do not own those testing kits, I only have the regular apI freshwater kit. I need to go out and purchase them ASAP ):

New Threads