Uneaten food Vs snail waste

KBil

Reaction score
I have seen many people say add a few snails to your fry tank as they will eat the uneaten food. But snails poop a lot .

So my question is does the snail/fish poop contribute less towards bad water quality compared to uneaten food?

erbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It depends on the size of your tank. Snails can be a positive part of a tank ecosystem but snails have a large bioload for their size. Also, snails need their own food and can't be expected to vacuum up all the uneaten fish food.

To answer your question, yes. Since snails will convert some of the leftover food into new growth and most likely improve water quality and tank health (assuming the tank can support the bioload).

What size tank do you have? How many fish? Is your tank growing plants?

OP
K

KBil

Reaction score
erbear said:
It depends on the size of your tank. Snails can be a positive part of a tank ecosystem but snails have a large bioload for their size. Also, snails need their own food and can't be expected to vacuum up all the uneaten fish food.

To answer your question, yes. Since snails will convert some of the leftover food into new growth and most likely improve water quality and tank health (assuming the tank can support the bioload).

What size tank do you have? How many fish? Is your tank growing plants?
It's actually a small about 2L size hang on breeder box. No plants.

This is a hypothetical situation. Assuming I don't do water changes what could make the water go foul faster: uneaten food (say BBS, microworms) or snails poop (a few mm size Ramshorn snails)?

erbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Idk. 2L is too small for snails anyways.
My guess would be fish food by weight produces more waste than snail poop.

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fish food will go moldy and take longer to break down compared to poop

New Threads