Underwater Jungle

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by csquared76, Apr 22, 2018.

1. csquared76

csquared76Valued MemberMember

I got my tank almost to where I want it-but i am having difficulty with the Valisneria. The leaves get all shredded...any ideas? Pest snails? I DID put an Assasin snail on there to help curb those little bastards....Also, and tipd from experienced aquascapers on keeping the growth a little neater looking? 20180422_085314.jpg20180422_085337.jpg1524409501099.jpg

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

What do you fertilize with? What's the substrate?

3. OP
    OP
    csquared76

Substrate is two layered, Black Sand and Seachem Flourite. I dose with Flourish Comprehensive and use Seachem Flourish root tabs every couple of months. The flourite substrate was old, maybe depleted, and the black sand was new in November. I have been running Purigen-maybe its pulling nutrients out of the water column?

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

The Purigen shouldn't pull enough out of the water column to hurt your plants. I'd guess they may just need another round of root tabs.

5. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaroWell Known MemberMember

Great looking tank! I love it.

I remember you had a rough time with your fish not long ago. Did you get that under control?

I wish I could give you advice about your plants, but I am struggling with my scape as well.

6. danhutchins

danhutchinsWell Known MemberMember

How long have you had the vals? They do need time to adjust to your tank. I had some that looked about dead for a few weeks then were uncontrollable after that. They may just need a little time. They are a very fast growing plant and do not need any special care. Honestly I think time is all you need.

7. OP
    OP
    csquared76

Thanks Joe, sorry-I have been offline for quite some time, so I was not able to respond to your compliment. Thank you! In answer, yes, I have had no losses for quite a while. I believe the tank is very healthy now. But I doubt I will ever have guppies again. That was a little traumatic... The Vals still are not doing great, but the Crypts are doing very well, I had to do some serious pruning, as they were taking over the tank. Work in progress, as all tanks are Im guessing.

8. ValerieAdams

ValerieAdamsFishlore VIPMember

What kind of crypts are those?

9. OP
    OP
    csquared76

That is a very good question...I cannot remember the scientific name. 1531918595139.jpg1531918618999.jpg1531918639562.jpg

10. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

11. ValerieAdams

ValerieAdamsFishlore VIPMember

That's kind of what I thought it looked like but I wasn't sure. I can't wait until mine gets that big! Mine is like a fourth of that size but it's already grown since I've had it

12. DoubleDutch

Got my own 454c2f7d58cfd5dafedba5e04c1f2389.jpg13fd2103bd38c00bf54e47da9375a233.jpg

13. midna

midnaWell Known MemberMember

was all that on the right hornwort in your original pics???? looked amazing lol

14. OP
    OP
    csquared76

indeed, it was my Hornwort. It looked awesome, and then went through a major shed...I have yet to get it to come back like that. GRRRR

15. OP
    OP
    csquared76

Thanks! Now I know.

16. OP
    OP
    csquared76

17. DoubleDutch

Nope, only Easylife Profito now and then.

18. OP
    OP
    csquared76

Well, it looks great!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice